Good spikes for both PV and sprints

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Mike Ritter
PV Wannabe
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Good spikes for both PV and sprints

Unread postby Mike Ritter » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Looking for a spiked shoe that will work well in sprints and the pole vault. Will be using them indoors and outdoors. Just getting back into the sport after many years. For most tracks, is the 5mm best for indoors and the 7mm best for outdoors? Something else? Also noticed that they now come in types like needle, pyramid, christmas tree etc. Which is best for normal indoor and outdoor tracks. Thanks.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Good spikes for both PV and sprints

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:58 pm

Each track sets their own regulations for the actual length of the spikes. 1/4" pyramids are almost universally accepted outdoors, many of the other types (including the ones that come in most jump spikes) are not allowed at many facilities.

Indoors is a different story. Some indoor tracks don't allow spikes at all, others only allow very small ones. You'll have to check the websites of the meets you plan to attend.

As far as the shoe itself, I recommend for now just sprinting in whatever you pole vault in. A mid-distance spike would work for both events and can usually be found for much cheaper than a jump spike. I do NOT recommend pole vaulting in sprint spikes. They don't have enough padding in the heel, and I find that kids get shin splints much more often if they pole vault in them. Some people can get away with it, I don't recommend taking chances.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”