Two Sided Pole Vault Pit

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Two Sided Pole Vault Pit

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:30 am

UW keeps their pits indoors most of the year where a double ended pit is not practical. The biggest meet their outdoor facility will probably ever host is the state HS track meet (and they are years away from that). It's just not worth the expense for a double ended pit when you have to store it somewhere and it would only get used a few times a year. It's not that hard to turn a pit around, certainly not $10,000-$15,000 hard.

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:43 am

VaultPurple,

Beyond jealous. Do you have a mat filling the "gap" between the front buns of the side without the standards? Is that the purple color I see in the pic there?
Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:50 pm

superpipe wrote:VaultPurple,

Beyond jealous. Do you have a mat filling the "gap" between the front buns of the side without the standards? Is that the purple color I see in the pic there?

You are correct. Here is a better image of the plug:

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:05 pm

That's the best plug that I've seen for that sort of pit! :yes:

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Unread postby coachjvinson » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:21 pm

That is a great plan and layout, nice work!!
PURSUITOF2016

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:37 pm

Wow! This is exactly what I need for my club's UCS 1900 pit. I just moved it to my house and got UCS to make me a custom weather cover that "bridges" the gap that your plug is filling. Why? Can't believe no one else has ever complained, but I brought it up to UCS when I ask for the custom cover that a ridiculous amount of water seeps right into the mesh of the front extensions and front buns with their "standard" weather cover for the pit that just follows the contour of the mats. The problem is the mesh in the front extensions (the worst for getting water logged to the point of not even being able to lift them, much less flip them over to drain and dry for a week before storing) and front buns extends down too far and there is a solid few inches of exposed mesh that rain easily finds it's way into (weather cover moves enough to create exposed mesh). I mentioned to UCS to have the "closed" vinyl extend a few more inches up in the mesh areas. They said they have never heard of this problem. I have a brand new set of UCS 1900 pits from 2010 at my high school where this is a huge problem. Like I said, I have to flip over the front extensions and front buns for a solid week to drain before I can store them. Pretty bad for "outdoor" equipment.

Anyway, I was going to make a "wheeled" plug out of wood that filled that gap to support my custom weather cover in that area. Probably still have to make one myself since that plug has got to be at least $800.00 I'm guessing.

Sweet setup!
Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”