buttplug

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

is dragging the pole an effective way to vault?

YES! drag it if you need to!
61%
NO! dragging it will get you nowhere!
39%

Total votes: 23

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:14 pm

i was talking to my coach the other day about using this at the next meet and until we get some mats in. OR i asked if i could use the regulare pole carry until i got higher and then i could just switch back to what i used to do (pushing it), that way i am garuanteed to get good height (because i am pretty consistent). he told me " you are never going to push that pole again, even if it means that you don't get height. i don't want to see it!" i'm very scared now about the upcoming meets! any suggestions that might help me in my plant(because that's where i have problems unfortunatly)? thanks
POLE VAULTING....Fear is NOT and option!

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:25 pm

the university of texas will have one young lady vaulting this way. she pushes the pole down the runway and is vaulting around 11'. she's just now learning to vault, first year ever, and is learning rapidly. long as you don't compete on a bad runway this is not a bad way to vault. I have always lived by an old cliche, there is more than one way to skin a cat. not a good cliche, but at least it helps you keep an open mind.
compete and jump safe, have fun

titojumps
PV Wannabe

Unread postby titojumps » Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:11 pm

right on Belmore! I'm with you bro!

Tsu
PV Newbie

Unread postby Tsu » Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:05 am

Its good for practice and learning the basics of vaulting. But how are you supposed to run fast and jump, just too akward for me.

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:17 am

gee - I wonder what Coaches said the first time they saw the Fosbury Flop- probably some of the same type reactions
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:20 pm

ah. don't ask me that question! lol. i just run fast and all and it dosn't feel akward to me. neither does carrying the pole but right now i can only plant it in our sliding box (because we don't have any mats) so i'm sticking to pushing it until we get some and i can practice otherwise. i'm going to change a lot of things when we get mats. haha. wanna hear something strange though about my mark and takeoff point? they are always the same when i carry it or push it. i guess i have consistency when i run and the pushing the pole factor dosn't seem to affect my speed.

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:18 pm

Hey TSU,

You actually can run faster while pushing than carrying. Having that free arm enables you to sprint full speed without falling off balance. I dont think pushing is a bad idea at all. Try it out sometime. Later

Geoff
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties.

Stockdale Paradox

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:36 pm

i agree : ). does anyone hear know about all comers meets? (i probably spelled something wrong there :confused: ) . What exactly are they and can you go to them and vault even if your not w/ your team? our team only goes to a few invitationals during the indoor season and i think that i would benifit from having a few more. plus since those are the only times i get to practice ( we don't have mats anymore) i would really like to get a few more in before state championships. i know there are certain types of meets that you can do this at but i'm not sure what you have to do to get in. thanks :)

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:18 pm

oh, and i am talking about hs. meets where you can do this. so...any thoughts?

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

All Comers Meets

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:00 pm

Usually if you compete "Unattached" you should be ok. But to be safe rather than sorry, check with your state's High School Athletic Association and get the ok in advance. There are also rules about not wearing your HS uniform or anything that says your school name if you are competing unattached. But check in advance rather than find out that you're inelegible for your whole year of track because you competed where your State Association didn't approve. :confused:
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:29 pm

So does this apply to all meets? how do i know if it does or dosn't? and if i decide to compete as an unatached vaulter can i still vault at the few invitationals that my hs goes to for my team? i know i'm throwing a lot of questions at you (or anyone who can answer them) so i'm really sorry!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:26 am

PvaultinGirl wrote:So does this apply to all meets? how do i know if it does or dosn't? and if i decide to compete as an unatached vaulter can i still vault at the few invitationals that my hs goes to for my team? i know i'm throwing a lot of questions at you (or anyone who can answer them) so i'm really sorry!

Check with the athletic director at your school. Make it clear to him that you will not be representing your school and your school coaches will not be there. Every state is different and some have some crazy rules. :deadrose:

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”