Pole got damaged

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Tincup1215
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Coach, High School Coach

Pole got damaged

Unread postby Tincup1215 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:35 pm

Quick Background:

9 of us are vaulting today, all poles are on the stand or in the bag. No poles are ever allowed to sit on the ground. Also I have a rule that if a pole is not caught after a jump, everyone has to do 50 swing-ups, 50 Bubkas, and 2 laps before anyone is allowed to jump again. Need less to say, the athletes take great care of the poles.

Well what happened today is a girl tripped into the pole stand and stepped on a pole with her spikes on. After making sure she was ok, I then wanted to maim her because the pole she stepped on now has a 1/2 inch nick about 3 feet from the top.

Is there anyway to repair this? There is no way I'm having a kid jump on it now which sucks because it's one of our most used poles (14' 160). I'm still pretty pissed this happened.

Anything I can do?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Pole got damaged

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:23 am

I'd say jump on it yourself and see if it breaks :devil:

Tincup1215
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby Tincup1215 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:54 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:I'd say jump on it yourself and see if it breaks :devil:

I thought about purchasing a cup and wearing my old rib protectors from football and trying this out actually :dazed:

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:48 am

Where is the nick -- compression side - tension side or nuetral axis side -- if tension (side that bends away from you) if the nick is in the long axis and did not cut through fibers probably ok

if on the compression side - it is an iffy issue - worst place

nuetral axis on either side - would need to be a big nasty for me to get overally worried --

hope that helps - I have some with spike pin holes - scratches etc -- depends where and how big a bender is using it
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:22 am

Why take the chance? $400 vs serious to possible catastrophic injury..... I understand that location of the scratch matters, but seriously, why chance it... Its not repairable, its now a low-grip grill pole. I put a band of red tape around the top of the pole to identify it and pull it out for sand and box drills.
"Heart"

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”