Shipping Poles

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

mahkone
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School, College, and Masters Vaulter. High School PV Coach
Favorite Vaulter: HG

Shipping Poles

Unread postby mahkone » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:20 pm

Can anyone recommend a way to ship poles? I need to get two poles from GA to PA. I am pretty sure you can't use Fed Ex or UPS. I have heard about using a freight shipping company called DBshanker, I think that is who MF athletic uses. Any other suggestions?

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Re: Shipping Poles

Unread postby master » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:04 pm

Use this link (just a search of this board) and read and learn what you can. Shipping poles is a real pain in the ____.
search.php?keywords=shipping+poles&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

- master

Darth Vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Masters Vaulter

Unread postby Darth Vaulter » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:42 am

I've used R&L Carriers (a commercial trucking company) to ship poles several times and have always been happy. The website (www.rlcarriers.com) indicates that they have locations in Georgia and California. It's easier to drop the poles off and pick them up at one of their terminals. I'm sure it's easier for them and it means less handling and therefore less chance for damage.

None of the delivery services (UPS, FedEx, etc.) work for poles. BAX Global (now part of DB Schenker) may still deliver poles, but . . . .

A few years ago I needed to send my son's poles from Wisconsin to Colorado for one of Pat Manson's immersion camps (highly recommended). I decided on BAX GLobal "Next Day Air" and sent them off a couple of days before his flight to Denver. Well, he arrived but the poles weren't there. I called BAX and was told that the poles were on a truck in Ohio (you geography buffs know this wasn't a good sign). I not-so-politely explained that they needed to use a phrase other than "Next Day Air" to describe this service -- "Some Day Ground" perhaps? The poles finally made it the second day of camp. To cap things off, on the way back when time wasn't an issue, the trip took about a week. I received a call from a woman in a town about 10 miles north of the delivery address asking me if I was expecting a thin, long package. BAX had just dropped the poles off in her backyard without explanation!

Good luck.
May the Force be with you!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:22 pm

Darth Vaulter wrote: I received a call from a woman in a town about 10 miles north of the delivery address asking me if I was expecting a thin, long package. BAX had just dropped the poles off in her backyard without explanation!

Good luck.

Hahaha that's awesome! (well since you got them back anyway)

cbo
PV Newbie

Unread postby cbo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:27 am

If you're trying to ship poles in the future, check out http://www.flyawaypoles.com. It's a new company that only deals with vault poles and the shipments are fully-insured!

ClintonMagus
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent of a Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11-6
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Unread postby ClintonMagus » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:45 am

cbo wrote:If you're trying to ship poles in the future, check out http://www.flyawaypoles.com. It's a new company that only deals with vault poles and the shipments are fully-insured!

I used them recently, and I recommend them highly.

The venue, who had promised to have the poles at the track first thing in the morning, actually had to send someone to the the loading dock to find them, costing us valuable warm-up time. There was a bit more confusion getting the poles picked up and returned following the meet, but it had nothing to do with Fly-Away Poles.

monteo
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School, Club, College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby monteo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:52 pm

This post probably needs some updating. The flyawaypoles.com site is not running. Southwest Cargo will not accept anything over 160" long.

monteo
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School, Club, College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby monteo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Also, BAX / DB Schenker when asked for a quote says they do not do anything with pole vaulting poles any more

mikedever
PV Newbie
Expertise: HS Coach
Lifetime Best: 12-6

Unread postby mikedever » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:55 pm

As Monteo says, Southwest Freight will not ship anything over 160" long, but Southwest Airlines will let you check poles (for a fee) if you are on the same flight.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”