Broken box for state meet?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Broken box for state meet?

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed May 20, 2009 12:09 am

How much would a broken box affect a highschool vaulter? Let me describe it, the back wall of the box (that is about 75 degrees) is seperated from the sloping panel (the part that the pole slides down). So when the vaulter plants it pushes the back wall to about 90 degrees. I had alot of trouble trying to jump with this box! If a picture is needed I could do so. You can't tell that there is anything wrong unless you press your pole against the back of the box.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: Broken box for state meet?

Unread postby VaultPurple » Wed May 20, 2009 12:55 am

well if it makes the angle of the box greater (that from back to part pole slides down) then it helps the vaulter, if it makes it less then it hurts. Because the smaller the angle the more it will hit the pole and keep it from moving in. At a meet I was at this past weekend they removed the box collar to keep pole from bending into it, so im guessing the same principle works.

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Wed May 20, 2009 9:35 am

Kyle, my girl is vaulting this weekend. Which runway has the broken box? North or south?

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed May 20, 2009 11:01 am

South Runway, I would protest if the box seems to bother your jumper. From what I have seen it affects heavier vaulters (like me 175lbs), but thats not to say that it might not have an effect on lighter vaulters. It seem to affect my pole speed and swing,

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Wed May 20, 2009 11:34 am

I would say that is an illegal setup. You should be forced to use the North runway if the South runway box is broken. That would hardly be acceptable at a dual or invitational let alone the State meet....

A broken box is dangerous. Don't put this sport into a precarious position like that.
"Heart"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:44 am

Yeah don't wait until the day of the meet to protest. Find the emails of everyone you can who is involved with putting the meet on and make them aware of it.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed May 20, 2009 11:47 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Yeah don't wait until the day of the meet to protest. Find the emails of everyone you can who is involved with putting the meet on and make them aware of it.

Can in not be fixed (welded?) in time for the meet this weekend? :confused:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed May 20, 2009 5:39 pm

indestructo wrote:I would say that is an illegal setup. You should be forced to use the North runway if the South runway box is broken. That would hardly be acceptable at a dual or invitational let alone the State meet....

A broken box is dangerous. Don't put this sport into a precarious position like that.

In this instance I don't really think it is dangerous as it is a hinderance on the vaulters. There is solid ground behind the back panel, this is why I say it isn't that dangerous. I don't work for the University and I have no association with the highschool state meet. I just wanted to give a heads up to those who might get stuck on this runway....

Like it was mentioned above there are 2 different runways with boxes on sides (4 total). 2 pits can be used at once.

vcpvcoach
PV Pro

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Wed May 20, 2009 8:46 pm

Crud. That's the runway my girl will be on. I know the Head Pole Vault Judge so I will talk to him. He is a good guy and will make it right.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Wed May 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Most boxes I've seen at high school set ups can be popped in and out with a pry bar. I'd find somebody who is going to the meet to go out to their own track and pop theirs out and bring it with (along with the pry bar). Otherwise if that's not an option there should be NO jumping on that run way what so ever. I bet Jan Johnson would agree. In fact, I'd pop off an e-mail to him about this if I were you or your coach. Later...........Mike

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Thu May 21, 2009 7:40 am

In this instance I don't really think it is dangerous as it is a hinderance on the vaulters.

Any hindrance ALWAYS brings with it danger.

Crud. That's the runway my girl will be on. I know the Head Pole Vault Judge so I will talk to him. He is a good guy and will make it right.

vcpvcoach.... don't wait!!! The state meet should not be run on that box.

Souleman has the right approach. Do not take unneccesary risks. Safety is ALWAYS the #1 priority of ALL coaches and athletes. If a pit does not meet every rule in the rule book, DO NOT use it. If I came into the state meet and saw that, I would make a stink about it to the official and the hosts until it was fixed or we moved.
"Heart"

vcpvcoach
PV Pro

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Thu May 21, 2009 7:02 pm

Hey all, The Official got a welder out and repaired the box after the 1A competed both flights on the other runway. He looked tired but did the right thing. We go tomorrow. My girl warmed up today and looked great.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”