Dust in mats

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

coleman
PV Newbie

Dust in mats

Unread postby coleman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:18 am

I have some mats that produce a large dust cloud anytime someone lands on them. Does anyone know how to remove the dust?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Dust in mats

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:26 pm

Try putting bedsheets between your top pad and base pads. Most of the dust comes from the big pads underneath, not the top pad.

73-vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Fan, Parent, High School Coach

Unread postby 73-vaulter » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:32 pm

Now remember you did not ask for the "best" solution. Therefore just spay the pits with water every day before vaulting. It will stop the dust. I don't think anyone will like the results, but it will stop the dust.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:49 pm

After 73-vaulter's post, my suggestion is probably far too practical for this thread - and is really just common sense, but ...

1. Keep the waterproof cover on whenever the pit isn't being used. i.e. Use it as a dust cover as well as a rain cover.

2. Even if diligent with #1, a lot of dust may still accumulate over the years, from the foam itself - not from external airborne particles. So periodically (annually?) rinse the dust out, by first setting the top mat on a bunch of hurdles, then hosing it down and letting it dry in the sun - perhaps leaving it that way overnight.

3. Now the bottom sections ... Hose water laterally across them, being careful not to let too much water soak down INTO the sections. Some will, but the more water that soaks in, the longer it will take to dry. Then give these sections time to dry in the sun too.

Unlike 73-vaulter's advice, do this rinsing AFTER each practice (until the problem clears up), or early morning - WELL BEFORE practice - to give the mats time to dry in the sun. Oh yes ... only rinse them when the sun's shining! :idea:

If the mats don't dry thoroughly, you're going to have a bigger problem on your hands - rot, smell, bacteria, mildew, and other bad things like that, so only do this on a sunny day.

73-vaulter wrote: ... just spray the pits with water every day before vaulting ...

If you want even more fun, don't tell the vaulters that the pits are wet! Everyone likes surprises, don't they? :)

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:00 am

KirkB wrote:After 73-vaulter's post, my suggestion is probably far too practical for this thread - and is really just common sense, but ...

1. Keep the waterproof cover on whenever the pit isn't being used. i.e. Use it as a dust cover as well as a rain cover.

2. Even if diligent with #1, a lot of dust may still accumulate over the years, from the foam itself - not from external airborne particles. So periodically (annually?) rinse the dust out, by first setting the top mat on a bunch of hurdles, then hosing it down and letting it dry in the sun - perhaps leaving it that way overnight.

3. Now the bottom sections ... Hose water laterally across them, being careful not to let too much water soak down INTO the sections. Some will, but the more water that soaks in, the longer it will take to dry. Then give these sections time to dry in the sun too.

Unlike 73-vaulter's advice, do this rinsing AFTER each practice (until the problem clears up), or early morning - WELL BEFORE practice - to give the mats time to dry in the sun. Oh yes ... only rinse them when the sun's shining! :idea:

If the mats don't dry thoroughly, you're going to have a bigger problem on your hands - rot, smell, bacteria, mildew, and other bad things like that, so only do this on a sunny day.

73-vaulter wrote: ... just spray the pits with water every day before vaulting ...

If you want even more fun, don't tell the vaulters that the pits are wet! Everyone likes surprises, don't they? :)

Kirk

The dust the original poster is talking about is most likely broken down pieces of pit that are degrading. Making sure to keep the weather cover on the pit is a good solution, because the more the pit gets wet, the more it breaks down. Hosing down the pit is a bad solution, any water reaching the foam is going to cause it to break down more. The dirt on the outside cover of the pit is not what is getting in kids' eyes and causing problems.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:11 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote: The dust the original poster is talking about is most likely broken down pieces of pit that are degrading.

Yeh, I'll buy that.

rainbowgirl28 wrote: Making sure to keep the weather cover on the pit is a good solution, because the more the pit gets wet, the more it breaks down.

That too.

rainbowgirl28 wrote: Hosing down the pit is a bad solution, any water reaching the foam is going to cause it to break down more. The dirt on the outside cover of the pit is not what is getting in kids' eyes and causing problems.

I think you're right about the bottom sections, assuming that they don't dry thoroughly - a likely scenario (thus my cautions).

But I just don't understand how dust can puff its way thru the top mat each time a vaulter compresses the pit on his/her landing.

It's OK, I'm not going to debate this to death. In HS, I had small foam pieces held together with fishnet, and at UW we had a new (modern-style - sans the long aprons and standard pads) pit, so I guess I'm spoiled - going from rags to riches - and can't properly appreciate the woes of an old pit.

I do, however, know what it feels like to land in a wet pit. I wouldn't wish that on anyone! :D

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:32 am

KirkB wrote:But I just don't understand how dust can puff its way thru the top mat each time a vaulter compresses the pit on his/her landing.

This is what I have been told by pit manufacturers *shrug* There is a lot of air in foam rubber, it seems plausible that small particles would work their way through it.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:43 am

OK, I see. I think the sides are non-porous, but I would hope that the bottom isn't (else how would residual water drain out?). You'd think that some air would puff downwards (assuming the pit is on pallets), but I can see now that some (maybe most) would puff up. The manufacturers would have to design it that way, because they can't assume that the pit won't be flat on the ground.

Now that you mention it, I can see how the aerodynamics wouldn't work as well if the top was non-porous - even if some air puffed out downwards. And I can now see how the propulsion of the dust particles could be substantial - especially right beside the vaulter on landing - where the compression is greatest.

Kirk

coleman
PV Newbie

Unread postby coleman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:43 am

Thanks for all the advice. I will actually set up the pit next week so we will see what happens. I think the main problem is the cover was torn and the previous owners did not use the cover because of that. Hopefully the dust will settle out after many jumps or at least be less dust with the foam pad on top.

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:53 am

Be aware, that dust from mats could be fungus, or contain fungal spores.

You REALLY don't want to inhale a cloud of fungal spores (which is why raincovers should be in good conditions and mats have good drainage in the bottom).

Or it could just be a degrading mat........ UV does that....

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:07 am

Do you have access to a gas powered leaf blower - these machines are a WONDERFULL machine. The guys at the Grand Haven Beach Vault use them every year to remove sand from the runway and mats - I'd uncover the mats and fire that leaf blower up and give it a try if :yes:

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:53 pm

maybe a shop vac could get rid of a good portion of the dust.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”