carbon catapoles....

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

jhesch
PV Pro

carbon catapoles....

Unread postby jhesch » Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:10 pm

i was wdoenirg if aoynne knwos mcuh auobt craobn ctaalpoes? ive olny seen one ocne, and i've been ulbnae to fnid out inotirmfon aubot tehm on the net. how do tehy cpromae to ohetr craobn pleos, nlemay paecr and essx? are tehy jsut as lhigt? do tehy hvae the smae 'kcik'? any oehter info wluod be aciteappred. if ayonne kwnos ayhtning, dorp a lnie.

(I read an article that a university published (i think it was U of Michigan, not sure) saying that people can read words even if all letters except first and last are scrambled, since we read words, not single letters at a time....how many of you could understand this first time you read it completely...nonetheless, I am curious about this subject.)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:47 pm

My head hurts :confused:

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:07 pm

I jumped on a series of gray catapoles in the early 90's that were given to me. I'm not exactly sure if they were carbon fibre, glass w/ graphite, or just plain gray glass, but I was under-whelmed by the poles in general and went back to my old sticks. Hope that helps.

Barto

jhesch
PV Pro

in other words

Unread postby jhesch » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:01 pm

i guess the theory's not right. this is what i said:

i was wondering if anyone knows much about ccarbon catapoles? ive only seen one once, and i've been unable to find out information about them on the net. how do they compare to other carbon poles, namely pacer and essx? are they just as light? do they have the same 'kick'? any other info would be appreciated. if anyone knows anything, drop a line.

Vaulterchick88
PV Pro

Re: carbon catapoles....

Unread postby Vaulterchick88 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:36 pm

jhesch wrote:
i was wdoenirg if aoynne knwos mcuh auobt craobn ctaalpoes? ive olny seen one ocne, and i've been ulbnae to fnid out inotirmfon aubot tehm on the net. how do tehy cpromae to ohetr craobn pleos, nlemay paecr and essx? are tehy jsut as lhigt? do tehy hvae the smae 'kcik'? any oehter info wluod be aciteappred. if ayonne kwnos ayhtning, dorp a lnie.

(I read an article that a university published (i think it was U of Michigan, not sure) saying that people can read words even if all letters except first and last are scrambled, since we read words, not single letters at a time....how many of you could understand this first time you read it completely...nonetheless, I am curious about this subject.)
i actually understood most of it, there were a few words, but yeah i see what you're saying. i kept looking for a pattern though and couldn't find one. was there one or was it just jumbled?
"Life is not measured by the number of breath you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away"
- Anonymous

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:17 pm

LOL. no pattern, just jumbled. hmmm....perhaps using a pattern could yield a way to code messages inside messages though....

nonethless...anyone, any cluse to carbon catapoles?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:20 pm

My understanding is that they just had some carbon powder in them, which gave them a nice dark color, but didn't give them any of the magical superpowers that "real" carbon fiber poles have :P I could be wrong though. Search through the old threads on the board, they've been discussed before.

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Theory

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:32 am

No...your theory can be right. I read right through it without a pause... Of course I teach and I have to read crap like that from kids every day! Kids do not learn to spell anymore. When they write by hand they don't have spell check! :confused:
Last edited by jmayesvaultmom on Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

lonestar
PV Lover

Re: Theory

Unread postby lonestar » Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:21 pm

jmayesvaultmom wrote:No...you're theory can be right. I read right through it without a pause... Of course I teach and I have to read crap like that from kids every day! Kids do not learn to spell anymore. When they write by hand they don't have spell check! :confused:

LOL - I used to be an English teacher and can relate to that. What's even worse is when they use a word processing program and the spellcheck gives them suggestions for the misspelled word, and they choose the wrong suggestion, thus negating the point of the sentence!
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

English

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:42 pm

What drives me insane is the misuse of their for they're and your for you're :confused: :eek: :crying: and "don't got no" and "Hain't got no" and on and on and on......
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19

The Sovereign LORD is my strength;

he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,

he enables me to go on the heights.

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Re: carbon catapoles....

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:51 pm

[quote="jhesch"]

dorp a lnie.

Dude thats weird, I understood it too...weird :confused:

Skyin' Brian