VAULTING POLE NICKNAMES

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:59 pm

Barto wrote:
VTechVaulter wrote:Weve got a pole from when brian hunter was here. The damn this is 20 ft long (its a 17footer with an extra 3 feet of handle). we just call it absurd

Uhh, who has a 6 meter oven?

Barto

We have 540 meter long ovens that will make a 530 poles LOL corrected to mean 530 meter length poles efficently.

We have a way to add on to the oven to extend the oven by 1' but have not used the method yet.
Last edited by Bruce Caldwell on Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:30 pm

bruce, did you mean that you have a 540 meter oven that can make a 530 meter pole, or a 540 meter oven that can make 530 poles (each being approx. a meter in length?). im kinda confused.
and how much do these ovens cost? perhaps i should buy one, make some of my own poles.....sell em off for cheap, make my living off it....ya right. haha

J[/quote]

superchau88
PV Nerd

Unread postby superchau88 » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:19 pm

one of the girls at our school has a 11' 125 big stick. she put a sticker that says sexy over the stick part so now it is nicknamed the big sexy.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:13 pm

Barto wrote:
VTechVaulter wrote:Weve got a pole from when brian hunter was here. The damn this is 20 ft long (its a 17footer with an extra 3 feet of handle). we just call it absurd

Uhh, who has a 6 meter oven?

Barto

Maybe he used the East Texas redneck method of building poles with Bondo.

Carl Eriksson once had a pole that was broken 4 feet from the top. He patched it up with Bondo and it worked just fine...but it was pretty scary looking.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:50 am

yeah, what i said but obviously didn't word very well is that it used to be a 17 foot pole that he just stuck another 3 feet on the top for pole runs and such. its freakin soooo hard to run with.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

PimpVaulter11
PV Fan

Unread postby PimpVaulter11 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:17 pm

I don't really name my poles. But I call the white caps on the end of my spirit poles my lucky caps.

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:26 pm

just curious: what kinda person can vault on a twenty ft. pole, i thought the longest manufactured pole was/is 17 ft. 6 in. leading to my second question, if its not physically possible, why is there three extra feet? can someone actually hold there and run fast enough to vault on it?

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:35 pm

jhesch wrote:just curious: what kinda person can vault on a twenty ft. pole, i thought the longest manufactured pole was/is 17 ft. 6 in. leading to my second question, if its not physically possible, why is there three extra feet? can someone actually hold there and run fast enough to vault on it?

Dude, do you even read the entire threads before you post? VTechVaulter already gave us the answer as to why the pole was that long in this post:

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:50 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah, what i said but obviously didn't word very well is that it used to be a 17 foot pole that he just stuck another 3 feet on the top for pole runs and such. its freakin soooo hard to run with.

It was lengthened to be heavier for pole runs. Nobody could jump on a 20' pole, it's physically impossible.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:50 pm

my apologies, lonestar. indeed i do read entire threads, i must've been tired or out of it when i read that one one because i don't recall reading the end part about why he used the extra three feet. thanks for bringing it to my attention.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:23 am

jhesch wrote:my apologies, lonestar. indeed i do read entire threads, i must've been tired or out of it when i read that one one because i don't recall reading the end part about why he used the extra three feet. thanks for bringing it to my attention.

No problem man, you don't have to apologize. My bad for coming across negatively. Lots of details in these threads sometimes! :dazed:
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Caseman33
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.38
Favorite Vaulter: Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby Caseman33 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:19 pm

NICKNAME_____THE BEAST__________________

BRAND_________UCS_________________

SIZE POLE ________14'6_______________

FLEX___________dont no_________________

vaultfan

Unread postby vaultfan » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:01 am