SHIN SPLINTS!!

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

SHIN SPLINTS!!

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:34 pm

I've got shin splints, especially my right one.....anybody know how to get rid of them??

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:07 pm

rest, rest and more rest.

a few different things could be happening to your lower leg create the pain. first, the muscle on the front of your shin could be tearing away from the bone from all the stress caused by running or an improper gait while running (over/underpronation).

secondly, the tibia bone could be taking the stress and could eventually lead to stress fractures in your shin. this is a worst case scenario!

either way, the only way to get rid of them is to rest.

after your shins feel better, it is usually a good idea to get a new set of running shoes with more support built in and don't start running/jumping too quickly. this can cause them to come straight back! :confused:

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:14 am

light jogging barefoot on turf helps some people.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

scubastevesgirly
PV Pro

Unread postby scubastevesgirly » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:22 am

after they're gone, do lots of heel walks and I stick a weight on my foot and do some shin lift things.
keep pounding to a minimum....always
I had crazy bad shin splints my freshman year...haven't had them since.

Marengo139
PV Beginner

Unread postby Marengo139 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:31 am

I second the motion about the heel walks and toe raises. When you do the heel walks walk 10m with your toes straight out then the next 10 with them pointed out and finally the last ten with them pointed in. This should help alot

Ali~PVC
PV Fan

Unread postby Ali~PVC » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:03 pm

shin splints suck! i have them really bad too! my advice is to get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with ice and water. then stick your legs in there for 15-20 minutes in, then 10 minutes out then 15-20 minutes in again. it hurts really bad try to cover your toes or something too cause that's what hurts the most.

ice bucketing is the best way to cure shin splints because the cold water makes the blood flow to the shins and cures it faster. it hurts really bad but in the end it is really really worth it. you can also freeze dixie cups with water then peep off the paper from the cup and rub the ice up and down your shins until it's gone. hope it helps!
live well, laugh often, love much...PVC for life!

FlyerChick4
PV Nerd

Unread postby FlyerChick4 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:59 am

you can also get a pack of marbles from like the dollar store or something and put them on the floor and pick them up with your toes and then put them in a bowl (I like to use a tupperware container cuz that's what i store them in). it helps shins and ankles. also you don't wann ice for more then 10 minutes. you should go 10 on 10 off. i definitely suggest toe raises and some heel raises too. also ibuprofin helps cuz shin splints is an inflamation thing. that's what i did when i had crazy bad shin splints
This year your gonna have to work twice as hard.

scubastevesgirly
PV Pro

Unread postby scubastevesgirly » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:58 am

with the icing...ppl. on our team seem to like to use ice from dixie cups - fill little ppr. cups w/ water and put them in the freezer, then rip the ppr off the top part and rub the ice up and down the shins...it's a nice concentrated icing :P

FlyerChick4
PV Nerd

Unread postby FlyerChick4 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:21 pm

we do the dixie cup thing too but if you do that make sure you always rub towards your heart so that way you aren't pushing the blood farther into the muscles so they hurt worse
This year your gonna have to work twice as hard.

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:28 pm

acually when i had them i went to my dr. and he could work em out...what they are is knots in you musscles in ur legs and if u push and rub them out they wont hurt
pain is only temporary victory is forever

phxjumps

Unread postby phxjumps » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:12 pm

Shin splints can best be fixed by proper foot wear, high or low arches in the foot are the main cause...pre-season and summer barefoot training seem to keep most of us shin splint free. Look into thera-band exercises to strengthen the muscles in your lower leg. The best part of shin splints is that fact that it's only pain, if you want it bad enough they don't have to slow you down. Just make sure it's not a stress fracture...now they suck!

Return to “Pole Vault - General”