celebs/pro athletes who are into pole vaulting?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Re: celebs/pro athletes who are into pole vaulting?

Unread postby tsorenson » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:57 am

Hans Florine and John Bachar, both world-famous rock climbers from California, were pole vaulters before they became professional climbers.

Florine owns the world speed record on El Capitan, climbing the Nose route (3000 vertical feet) in 2 hours, 37 minutes last fall. It takes the average experienced climbing party 2-3 days to complete this route. I know he vaulted in college but I'm not sure where.

Bachar was one of the most famous climbers in the world, known especially for his daring free-soloing (climbing difficult routes with no rope). He once offered $10,000 to anyone who could climb with him for a day...no one took the offer. He was seriously injured a few years ago in a car accident and unfortunately fell to his death last year while free-soloing. His first ascent routes include some of the best and most sought-after rock climbs in the United States. The link below has some classic video clips of some of his exploits.
http://www.climbing.com/news/passages/j ... 957-2009/#

Cade McNown, from Portland, Oregon, was a pretty good pole vaulter in high school. He went on to star as quarterback for UCLA and play for several years in the NFL for the Bears, etc.

advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

Unread postby advath » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:23 am

Wesley Snipes' Stunt Coordinator and Stunt Double, Jeff Ward was a 17'+ pole vaulter in college. Jeff pole vaulted in the Penn Relays. Last year Bruce Jenner was kind enough to come talk to our pole vaulters at practice.
There's another pole vaulter/coach that's not exactly a celeb but...
http://advantageathletics.com/category/track-and-field/stunts/

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:55 am

Female Rock climbing star Tory Allen vaults/vaulted for FSU

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:03 pm

Astronaut Buzz Aldrin started out as a pole vaulter, hear him talk about it ~3:30 into this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGAjrXFNd0c

Return to “Pole Vault - General”