Tivo/DVR/PVR

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

hallvaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Randy Hall

Tivo/DVR/PVR

Unread postby hallvaulter » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:46 pm

Good evening all,

1.) Do any DVR/PVR devices have HDMI input?

2.) Do I need a subscription, or are the devices standalone?

3.) I didnt think this would that complicated, but it seems that being able to review while recording is a pretty complex task. I looked into a lot of software thinking maybe I could just do this on a computer- didnt find anything simple that accomplished what i needed.

Thoughts?
Coach Bob Phillips

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Tivo/DVR/PVR

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:53 am

hallvaulter wrote:1.) Do any DVR/PVR devices have HDMI input?

2.) Do I need a subscription, or are the devices standalone?

Mine doesn't have HDMI input, and it's the top-of-the-line combo "cable box + PVR" from my local cable company. There's no subscription fee for the device itself (I bought it), but since it's a combo box, the device isn't much use to me without the cable feed. i.e. cable TV is the only content source.

But I guess you want your camcorder (with your PV vids) to feed into the PVR via HDMI? Maybe you can explain what you're trying to do in a bit more detail? Why does it have to be HDMI input? :confused:

I think any standalone (non cable-box) PVRs will likely have the exact same issue that I read about in this CNet article (CNet is a better place to ask electronics questions than PVP):
http://www.cnet.com/news/why-dont-video-recorders-have-hdmi-inputs-ask-the-editors/

After reading this answer on CNet, I stopped looking for answers on websites, since the (copyright) issues explained in this CNet post sound insurmountable.

But they do say that they could be wrong, so I wish you luck.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:46 am

You can use a Black Magic product. They have some devices with HDMI in; however, you can only record via HDMI if the program in question is unprotected. Also, the resulting recording is in a not consumer friendly format.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:24 pm

... and this HDMI to HD-SDI (Serial Digital Interface) converter (~$150) is a lower-priced option than Black Magic (~$500).

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-hd-sdi-converter.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwrbSoBRDok47Sv6Ci80wSJABFUszTfFd5azZdRwEOqXNHAkMdLEsiMPiBEnvga7kC73OQAhoC6SXw_wcB

I have no experience using this product, I just found this link when searching for Black Magic.

Is this the type of product you're looking for, Hall?

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - General”