5-alive. should it be eliminated?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:21 pm

hmmm well i havent been in a big enough compitition yt to be complaining but i think both sides have their arguements
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Unread postby Bonevt » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:30 pm

Even though you might not jump for a while I like 5 alive because once you start jumping its almost always the right amount of time between jumps.

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:35 pm

das_1971 wrote:
VaultBrad wrote:i like the 5-alive. it speeds up meets and reduces the time each vaulter has to wait between vaults.

Unless your in a very large meet, then you might wait more then an hour between jumps only to have to do all jumps at a height(if you miss) within 5 minutes.

I think that mabye the vaulters should be able to take a vote at the start of a meet it the feild is larger the 10

i think that is an incredible idea. would probably piss off some games committees though with them losing a bit of some control.

oh, and to state again, 5 alive does not speed up competitions. it may actually slow them down because it often results in one or two competitors left at the end of a height with 2 or 3 attempts left causing them to take more time on the runway "recovering" from missed vaults. even at heights where 10 or more people jumped prior to the leftover vaulters at the end of the order.

vaultinggoat16
PV Whiz

Unread postby vaultinggoat16 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:59 pm

20 vaulters? What? I thought that kinda stuff was folklore. I jump with like 3-4 guys at alot of meets.
-B
What poles are made of fiberglass now....

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:24 pm

lonestar wrote:As a coach and a vaulter, I like it. Keeps you warm and fresh while you're competing, and doesn't allow too much time for overthinking and/or losing focus. I've even seen some meets do 3-alive, which also worked well.

I completely agree. I do not like to sit around for more than 20 minutes where there is a big field and then have to refocus and get warm every jump at each height. It is quite annoying, and I've noticed I preform better at 5-alive meets.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:41 pm

I wouldn't drop the rule, just spend more energy teaching officials how to do it properly.

At our outdoor NAIA Championships last year, we had 38 girls in the field. I waited about an hour between heights, but not too long between jumps at a bar.

I'd rather wait an hour between heights than have 3 jumps spaced out at 20 minutes each.

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:04 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:I'd rather wait an hour between heights than have 3 jumps spaced out at 20 minutes each.

exactly. 5-alive SEEMS to speed up a meet, but really only speeds up the time an individual spends at a height. instead of waiting forever and having to re-warmup for every single jump, you only have to warmup again at each height. And when the field drops to below 10 competitors, you should switch to running everyone together at the next height.
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:11 pm

5 alive is tough on officials, but good for the athletes. Keeping the vaulters aware of their position in rotatiion is key to keeping things going. With that said, vaulters have to pay attention to the officials, well the ones that are trying anyway, by not zoning out or listening to their headphones. During a big comp, we try to keep the sixth or seventh vaulter in view and let them know when they will be coming into rotation. It can be tough in larger crowds, but I will put up with the aggravation to give the vaulters a chance to stay loose and jump.
compete and jump safe, have fun

riskafall
PV Beginner

Unread postby riskafall » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:50 pm

i think 5 alive is a wonderful idea and whoever thought of it should be given a prize. it allows for the perfect time between each attempt.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:35 pm

A couple of years ago at a High school meet I was in we did a 5-alive 2 and 1. It was like a normal 5 alive except as soon as you missed your first attempt at a height, you immidiatly jumped again. If you missed that attempt also, you moved to the bottom of the 5 to take your last attempt. I loved it because I one of those vaulters that just wants to jump back on the runway and fix what I did wrong, but this made the meet last forever. Has anyone else ever had to do this?
Man Up and Jump

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:55 pm

I am a firm believer in the 6-alive format. Its WAY better than 5-alive.
But thats just one more thing for officials to screw up. Haha
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

hurstiger
PV Fan

B.S.

Unread postby hurstiger » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:32 pm

Scott Go Pre wrote:I had one offical at reno that didn't know how to do the five alive, so I was sitting on my rear for about 20 mins just waiting for my next turn in the five. He kept adding someone in after another one would clear the height, instead of including someone after the five go round. I think that the 5-alive should not be eliminated, but officals should be taught how to go about it properly.

If I remember right, the official at Reno held jumpers to one minute on the runway. So, you are trying to say that there were 20 jumpers between your first and second jump!!!!! Whatever!!!! The official at Reno ran the five alive by the book ie. whenever someone would clear a height, another vaulter would be moved into the flight of five. What do you think five alive is?????

Return to “Pole Vault - General”