PV Vocabulary

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:05 am

mooski33 wrote:you know, most all polevault lingo is "dirty" if heard by person who unfortunately is not a polevaulter. I have alwasy liked dick henry's quotes..but I wonder whether becca would appreciate me posting them..we'll leave that up to her. As for nick names..I don't think I have ever acquired a sticking nick name..sadly once though, for reasons unknown to me, my coach called me chubs..beats me! Does anybody have any nick names? or know of any that are for me? pfhwha.."I'm tho excitded"

Pshaw you guys go ahead and post whatever :P If it disturbs me I will let you know.

Molly I am tho exthited you are posting! :D Aww too bad your coach calls you chubs, that's kinda mean :no: I don't think I really have any nicknames. Haha not as a vaulter at least. As a coach Tyler calls me Pole Vault Highness, and Dave and Vinh call me the coach with the best... butt ;) :o

vaultfan

Unread postby vaultfan » Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:27 am

Without any track meets to attend, I’m getting a little “punchy.â€Â

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:17 pm

LOL those are great! :yes:

xtremevaulter

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:26 pm

vaultfan wrote:Without any track meets to attend, I’m getting a little “punchy.” And it’s such a long time until Reno! Anyway, I got to thinking about what the proverbial dumb blond’s thoughts might be toward a coach using some of the pole vaulting terms. These are all terribly corny. I’m sure that you all can make great improvements upon them!

Speed Mark -- “What is our school record in the 100 anyway?”

Natural Stride -- “I may be blond, but I’m not natural.”

Fine Tuning -- “Man, I’m doing this to get OUT of music lessons!”

Stay Tall -- “Hey! I’m only 5’3” and I not about to get any shorter!”

Penultimate Step -- “Dang! If that word isn’t a tongue twister!”

Stay Perpendicular to the Pole during takeoff -- “Wait a minute. I don’t take geometry until next year!”

Jump up -- “Am I to high jump or pole vault here?”

Row -- “Do you think that I’m running up there with a canoe or something?”

Swing up until your feet are above your hands at the 1 o’clock position -- “Man, I bet your wife hides UNDER the bed from you at night!”

Invert -- “That is nothing like pervert, IS IT?!!”

6” Pull -- “I want to vault a lot higher than THAT!”

Keep your body tight to and at one with the pole. -- “I thought that it was usually best to just “hang loose.”

Don’t Flag Out -- “I’m so flat chested the last thing that I have to worry about is “popping out.”

When clearing the bar, keep the body “hollow” -- “Are you trying to get me to look like a FREAK or something!”

Abort -- “I am definitely NOT pregnant! Besides, I don’t believe in THAT anyway!”

Just because it took me sometime to figure all those out doesnt mean i am a blond. Oh wait... :o

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: PV Vocabulary

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:34 pm

MLfanclub wrote:behold, a loving community of pole vaulters! haha this is sweet. I've never pole vaulted but really enjoy watching a vaulter who is very special to me. I hope I wont be ostracized from the board. every sport has some unique lingo/phrases, for instance in basketball you can "school" someone, in tennis if you leave your opponent at 0 its not unheard of to hear someone say "I just tossed that guy a bagel" and in football a long pass has been dubbed as "the hail mary" or "a bomb" etc. there are are a million other examples, but what I'm wondering is, what are the quirky words/phrases of pole vaulting? slang words, trash talk, nick names, anything. aight thanks everyone!

LOL Hi Sonny! I JUST now figured out that was you! :D Haha welcome to the board. That's really funny you posted like a week before Molly :P :star:

xtremevaulter

HEHEHE

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:34 pm

I thought that that was kinda funny that Sunny posted on here before you did molly. Geez and you call yourself a pole vaulter. hehehe

BackwardVaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby BackwardVaulter » Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:30 am

ah, so many. naturally, there are the ones that sound bad to non-vaulters:
-work it up top
-get a stiffer pole
-aim for the box
-just ride it
-blowing through it
-butt plug
-penetrate the box
we did some funny-looking drills last year, the three of us (2 athletes+coach). the head coach gave us many wierd looks. but, hey, every vaulter my vaulting coach has coached has made it to state, and us two vaulters got second at districts. obviously, the wierd stuff helps.

some specific to my school:
-ugly hats (the coach has wierd-colored knit caps we use to measure our -steps. also a funny-looking fishing-hat-type thing.)
-NOT YET! (i thought i was getting a puch plant, but wasnt)
oops (us cp vaulters use that all too often)
-the two vautlers my school has had up to now also made of point of wearing juanita stuff to meets. he used to wrestle for the rebels, and i run xc and will do gymnastics (thanks, becca) there. cedar park's juanita vaulters.

as for nickname, i am backward vaulter, since i vault left handed. this one time, at pole vault camp (haha), the coaches tried to get me to switch because they thought i was holding it wrong.

i think though, by far, the phrase related to pole vault i'm hearing the most this fall comes from my xc team. i talk about vaulting a fair amount, since life does not revolve around pole vault, it IS pole vault. the phrase? "SHUT UP ABOUT POLE VAULT!"
-siff

xtremevaulter

HEHEHE

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:27 am

The top ten things in vaulting that sound dity but arn't :D

10. wrap your pole tightly
9. lower your standards
8. aim for the box
7. get inverted
6. don't slide down your pole
5. don't be intimitaded by the competition's poles
4. be sure to sercure your butt-plug
3. work it up top
2. Faster, Harder, Stronger
1. You need more penetration

AmyPoleVault
PV Fan

humm

Unread postby AmyPoleVault » Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:05 am

hey... blondes are cool.
When the hurdles in life get to high... grab a pole

smokinvaulter1
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Semi Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.55m
Favorite Vaulter: Joe Dial

Unread postby smokinvaulter1 » Fri Sep 13, 2002 3:44 pm

Getting RIPPED is taking off way under you'll feel it.

mooski33
PV Nerd

Unread postby mooski33 » Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:23 pm

how in the world was I supposed to know that my sweetheart would sneak on to this forum and post without me knowing! jeezeleweeze..I know I know..I should have gotten on sooner..but I just have been busy..I've had dr. appointments left and right!! stupid ankle! my bad guys..but I think we should ostrisize sunny samuel outta here!!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:41 pm

mooski33 wrote:.but I think we should ostrisize sunny samuel outta here!!

Haha no he gets to stay :D :yes:

Return to “Pole Vault - General”