Choosing the right college Vault program

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

willschmelt
PV Newbie
Expertise: In between HS and college vaulting
Lifetime Best: 14'9
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lawrence Johnson

Choosing the right college Vault program

Unread postby willschmelt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:20 am

Hello,
So, I am currently taking a Gap year, meaning I have graduated High School but I am not currently in college. I have done a lot of important things non-track oriented so this isn't just a "year off". I plan to attend college this coming fall. I was able to defer my admission to both Baylor University and Azusa Pacific University, so I am guaranteed a spot in next year's freshmen class if I decide to attend either of these schools. My PR is 14'9, which I cleared last April. Unfortunately I pulled my hammy that same meet, which caused me to only be able to compete at low heights to score points for my team after that. I am finally healthy and in the middle of training. I am in better shape than I was when I jumped 14'9 and I am an overall better pole vaulter, so I am quite confident that in the next couple of months I will be able to clear 15' or higher in an all-comers meet of some kind.

I am looking for a division 1 or 2 university that has a good vault program, but not so good that I would be at the bottom of the lineup and get little coaching assistance. I don't care much about the size. I DO NOT want to have to walk on somewhere. I would absolutely love a scholarship, but at the very least I want to be considered a "recruit", mainly so I can start practice with the team as soon as possible. I am also very interested in trying the decathlon, considering I competed in a few other events in high school competitively and have some experience practicing/competing in the other 6 events, so the existence of a multi-event program is a factor.

I respond well to good coaching. I had no High School vault coach, instead I went once a week during the winter and spring to see a great club coach, and because of this, I have had a large rate of improvement every year (at least 2 feet higher every year except for a 13-inch foot improvement my senior year because of my early injury). My form has MANY flaws, but I am not one of those people that can't fix their bad (form) habits; I am very comfortable eliminating such habits and starting good ones, it just takes me time and practice. I am highly motivated to reach an elite level in the vault and hopefully in the Decathlon as well.

Here are some schools I either have applied to or am planning on applying to: Abilene Christian, Azusa Pacific, Baylor, Drake, Fordham, Furman, High Point, Incarnate Word, Marist, New Haven, Sacred heart, Stonehill, SUNY Binghamton, UNC - Wilmington, Villanova, Wake Forest.

I hear so much about the importance of finding a coach/program that you fit well with. So of the schools listed or any not listed that fit the criteria I mentioned, which ones seem like good options for someone in my situation?

Sorry for the long read. I have been so nervous about finding the right program so I am just trying to be as sure as possible that I make the right decision.

Thanks in advance!

-Will

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Re: Choosing the right college Vault program

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:28 pm

First and foremost.....find the best SCHOOL for you. Likely you will not make you living by pole vaulting. The only program I know well of these is Villanova since I coach in their conference and personally know their coach. he is a quality coach and you would likely be their top male vaulter as they focus on their women's program with recruiting.
Man Up and Jump

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Re: Choosing the right college Vault program

Unread postby PV2020 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:39 pm

willschmelt wrote:Hello,
So, I am currently taking a Gap year, meaning I have graduated High School but I am not currently in college. I have done a lot of important things non-track oriented so this isn't just a "year off". I plan to attend college this coming fall. I was able to defer my admission to both Baylor University and Azusa Pacific University, so I am guaranteed a spot in next year's freshmen class if I decide to attend either of these schools. My PR is 14'9, which I cleared last April. Unfortunately I pulled my hammy that same meet, which caused me to only be able to compete at low heights to score points for my team after that. I am finally healthy and in the middle of training. I am in better shape than I was when I jumped 14'9 and I am an overall better pole vaulter, so I am quite confident that in the next couple of months I will be able to clear 15' or higher in an all-comers meet of some kind.

I am looking for a division 1 or 2 university that has a good vault program, but not so good that I would be at the bottom of the lineup and get little coaching assistance. I don't care much about the size. I DO NOT want to have to walk on somewhere. I would absolutely love a scholarship, but at the very least I want to be considered a "recruit", mainly so I can start practice with the team as soon as possible. I am also very interested in trying the decathlon, considering I competed in a few other events in high school competitively and have some experience practicing/competing in the other 6 events, so the existence of a multi-event program is a factor.

I respond well to good coaching. I had no High School vault coach, instead I went once a week during the winter and spring to see a great club coach, and because of this, I have had a large rate of improvement every year (at least 2 feet higher every year except for a 13-inch foot improvement my senior year because of my early injury). My form has MANY flaws, but I am not one of those people that can't fix their bad (form) habits; I am very comfortable eliminating such habits and starting good ones, it just takes me time and practice. I am highly motivated to reach an elite level in the vault and hopefully in the Decathlon as well.

Here are some schools I either have applied to or am planning on applying to: Abilene Christian, Azusa Pacific, Baylor, Drake, Fordham, Furman, High Point, Incarnate Word, Marist, New Haven, Sacred heart, Stonehill, SUNY Binghamton, UNC - Wilmington, Villanova, Wake Forest.

I hear so much about the importance of finding a coach/program that you fit well with. So of the schools listed or any not listed that fit the criteria I mentioned, which ones seem like good options for someone in my situation?

Sorry for the long read. I have been so nervous about finding the right program so I am just trying to be as sure as possible that I make the right decision.

Thanks in advance!

-Will

There is nothing wrong with a program where you are the worst pole vaulters. Most pole vault coaches like pole vaulters to jump high, they will give you as much effort as you give them because they look good when the 14'9 jumps 17' one day. Jumping with those 16-17 pole vaulters are only going to make you better, so I would disregard the comment you made about not wanting to be the worse if I was you. But on the other side of that, there is nothing wrong with being the best if you really like and trust the coach when you talk to them.

In the same thing, there is nothing wrong with trying out if that is what the school makes all walk on's do. First, don't choose the school for vault, but if you do, definitely don't go somewhere that can not guarantee you a chance to make team.

Go to tfrrs.com to check out stats of those teams. Biggest thing to check when you email the coaches: Do you have a pole vault coach? What is your pole selection? The biggest thing I saw wrong with some of the schools you listed were lack of pole selection or inconsistent coaching (either no coach, or they assign different coach to pole vault every few years with no experience.. not that you have to vault to coach it, but sometimes its no fun being a new coach that knows nothing of pole vaults learning tool).

Return to “Pole Vault - General”