Do you think I can be a competitive pole vaulter?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

diana
PV Newbie
Expertise: Fan
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Yelena Isinbayeva

Do you think I can be a competitive pole vaulter?

Unread postby diana » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:15 am

Hello everyone

Here is my situation. I'm 17 (almost 18) years old. I used to practice taekwondo when i was younger and used to work out until last year. Now my body is not in a good condition. Im 1.70m (5ft 7in) and 60 kg (132 lbs), i was 52 kg (114 lbs) when i worked out and was on diet. By the way I'm a girl.
I would like to become a pole vaulter but I don't know if it's too late for me to become a good one. And for one year I won't be able to do any sport so I'll be 18 (almost 19) when I start doing it. I never tried it before. I live in a country where there is a very very little number of pole vaulters ever competed in international competitions (one male, one female). And i don't know if i can find a good coach to train me. Do you think i should never try it? Would pole vaulters who started at younger ages be always one step ahead of me or can this disadvantage be compensated by very hard training? Cause If there's no chance for me to become a competitive vaulter and take part maybe in olimpics one day i would prefer not to start it as it is already very hard for me to start here in this country.

Thanks in advance for the advices

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Do you think I can be a competitive pole vaulter?

Unread postby dj » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:20 am

good morning,

goals are dreams and dreams are goals...........it is very healthy both physically and emotionally to have a physical challenges...

but with that said pole vaulting IS a huge physical challenge.

First question would be: do you have the power for "sprint" speed. That can be tested to some degree with a standing long jump and a 40 yard/37 meter sprint test.

And keep in mind it takes a minimum of seven years to become world-class.. the vault may take longer.

If you can travel find a camp to come to in the USA.

dj

diana
PV Newbie
Expertise: Fan
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Yelena Isinbayeva

Re: Do you think I can be a competitive pole vaulter?

Unread postby diana » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:41 pm

dj wrote:good morning,

goals are dreams and dreams are goals...........it is very healthy both physically and emotionally to have a physical challenges...

but with that said pole vaulting IS a huge physical challenge.

First question would be: do you have the power for "sprint" speed. That can be tested to some degree with a standing long jump and a 40 yard/37 meter sprint test.

And keep in mind it takes a minimum of seven years to become world-class.. the vault may take longer.

If you can travel find a camp to come to in the USA.

dj

Thanks for bothering to answer

Return to “Pole Vault - General”