When is it too young to start PV?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Rosie<3
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

When is it too young to start PV?

Unread postby Rosie<3 » Sat May 19, 2012 2:08 pm

My little sister is 8 years old and she wants to try pole vault. I started at 14, i am now 16, but is 8 too young to start? My mom is not sure if she wants her to start yet, but i think 8 is a good age because by the time she is my age she will be so good.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: When is it too young to start PV?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:49 pm

I don't think there is a lower limit as long as the practices are kept short and it's just for fun. If they are attending a practice with high schoolers, they need to be able to listen, focus, stand in line, remember instructions, etc. It's really going to vary depending on the kid. I don't think there is a huge benefit to pole vaulting before middle school age, but if the instruction is kept appropriate, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing either. At the younger ages it's more important to learn how to run and jump correctly.

As far as your sister, you should see what your coach thinks. It can be a lot for an 8-year-old to hang out with high schoolers for 1-2 hours, the conversations are not always age-appropriate.

Chukam All
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, IHSA Certified Track & Field Official
Favorite Vaulter: Mary Saxer

Unread postby Chukam All » Sun May 20, 2012 12:15 pm

I know we've had a couple start as young as 6 years old. Whether that's too young or not is open for debate but it sure does this old heart good to see the youngsters out there having fun. And that is the key when getting the young kids involved. ALWAYS KEEP IT FUN!

Chukam All
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, IHSA Certified Track & Field Official
Favorite Vaulter: Mary Saxer

Unread postby Chukam All » Sun May 20, 2012 12:18 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:...practice with high schoolers, they need to be able to listen, focus, stand in line, remember instructions, etc. It's really going to vary depending on the kid.

Most of our high schoolers and some of our college kids can't even do this. :o

Rosie<3
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6"

Unread postby Rosie<3 » Sun May 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback! You all bring up a great point though because i am not sure if she will be able to handle 1 or 2 hours with a bunch of high school kids, she will have no one to talk to and the conversations are not always appropriate, so we most likely will wait until she is in 6th or 7th grade.

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Sun May 27, 2012 5:03 pm

I had a 6th grade girl compete in Georgia Middle School State Championships last year, and won at 9'6" and new state record!!! I coached her dad to a Scholarship to Un. Fla. 40 years ago. I Do Not teach American technique, and she and her dad have exceptionl gifts that they didn't earn, but took full advantage of!!!!

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:40 am

I didn't start till I was 15 or 16 personally. Now I'm woundering if my son will want to take it up. He's 9 years old, over 5'1", and I just weighted him at 90 something. Problem is he's lazy and doesn't like the outdoors. Maybe I could convince him its a video game...
Ow

Return to “Pole Vault - General”