About what height should i be clearing?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Rosie<3
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

About what height should i be clearing?

Unread postby Rosie<3 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:21 pm

So from a three left approach, i grip 9'3" to 9'6" depending on the day. I can easily wrap 11ft with this grip, not every jump, From fives i grip anywhere from 9'9" to 10'3" and can easily wrap 12ft From seven lefts i grip about 10'3" to 10'6", and can wrap 11'6" and sometimes 12ft, my coach hasn't had it higher than that yet so i am not sure if i can get 12'6" or 13'. However, with this information, do you think from a seven-left approach, with a 10'9" grip i can clear 10? I easily cleared 9ft with it. Also i was wondering why i can jump with a better technique from a 3 step than fives and sevens. 11ft is pretty easy for me to wrap from a 3 step, but when i'm gripping a foot higher from fives it is i can still easily get 12ft but it is not as good of a wrap and i know it is because i do not jump up as much. Is there a way i can improve my five step approach to have a good enough take-off (jump-up) as my three lefts? Thanks!
Last edited by Rosie<3 on Mon May 21, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: About what height should i be clearing?

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Wed May 09, 2012 12:49 pm

Rosie<3 wrote:and i know it is because i do not jump up as much. Is there a way i can improve my five step approach to have a good enough take-off (jump-up) as my three lefts? Thanks!

Record video of your jumps from both of those approaches. Compare your steps on your 3L to the last 6 steps on your 5L and I bet you'll see a difference.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”