Getting into College. Any chance for me??

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

bb12334
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka, Renaud Lavillenie

Getting into College. Any chance for me??

Unread postby bb12334 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:08 pm

So I have recently begun looking for which college I want to go to. I know that I do not have a chance at earning a scholarship, but would love to vault at college and hope that my vaulting ability could give me a boost in the application process. I'll start by explaining about my jumps. I am a junior right now, and started as a sophomore. However I was injured for 9 months and therefore have not had that much time to practice (Approximately 2 seasons). I currently have a PR of 12 but have cleared 13 ( 9" above hand height) numerous times on a 13'7 140 holding at 12'11 in practice. If you really want to see my jumps you can look here http://www.youtube.com/user/LochoffPV/videos . I am hoping to get at least 13'6 this season and would be ecstatic if I could get 14. I am thinking of applying to Darmtmouth next year. I have good grades, and do other activities such as music outside of school, so I am not a weak contender. However, I would have a much greater shot of acceptance if I could make a valuable addition to the pole vault team. Even though my heights are not very high or competitive, I have improved a lot over a short period of time, and am extremely hard working and dedicated. What I was wondering is what height jumps would give me what kind of leverage during the application process. I am going to contact the coach at the end of this season. For instance will they even bother to look into me if I am clearing say 13? Or will they only even read my letter if I am 14+?
I know that I cannot use my injuries as an excuse for why I have not cleared higher, but I feel that I have huge potential to jump much higher in college and could make a valuable addition to the team. However, I have not done this yet, and am worried that Dartmouth will not even consider me for pole vaulting. I have other schools on my radar, but most are DIII so I know that sports will not have as much leverage there. I was considering making a compilation of film of me doing everything from drills, to pop ups, to full jumps just so they have something to look at more than my letter and my stats. Would this be a good idea, and does anybody have any suggestions about making such a video?

Thanks a ton,
Alex

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Re: Getting into College. Any chance for me??

Unread postby botakatobi » Fri May 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Many college coaches want to recruit athletes that can score points for their teams at conference championhips and the NCAA's. Priority in scholarships and acceptance is given to the athletes that have generally proven ability to score points now and/or in the near future.

Google the results of the vaulters at the schools you want to attend. Do your marks compare to theirs? Can you help the school score points now or with some improvement.

The coaches are less concerned with your excuses and and more concerned with your results in meets, grades, talent, test scores and attitude. Focus on your marks in the vault, and any other events you compete in.

Once you narrow down the schools of your choice, contact the coach and ask if you can try out for the team.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:52 pm

You would have to be jumping in the 15's for most D1 coaches to call admissions. For the top conferences it would be likely higher. Solid SAT or ACT scores will have much bigger influence than a track coach
Man Up and Jump

Darth Vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Masters Vaulter

Unread postby Darth Vaulter » Fri May 04, 2012 9:36 pm

Dartmouth is in the Ivy League conference and it prohibits its schools from giving athletic scholarships. All financial aid is need-based. VaultMarq is right about scores and grades and even with those it is extremely difficult to get in. My younger son really wanted to go to one of the other Ivies where his brother would 've been a senior when he was a freshman. He was in the top 10 at a competitive high school, had good extracurricular activities and experiences, a 35 ACT score, and vaulted a height in high school that would have landed him on the school's All Time Top 10 list in the pole vault. Result = Deferred Early Decision; Rejected Regular Decision.
May the Force be with you!

Return to “Pole Vault - General”