No Impact Drills?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

hetchie
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Coach/College Vautler
Lifetime Best: 4.72
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Rory Quiller

No Impact Drills?

Unread postby hetchie » Thu May 03, 2012 1:42 pm

I currently have a kid vaulting who is suffering from severe shin splints. We have taken him out of all running and anything causing impact to his legs, but want to continue training. For the past couple weeks I've had him doing every drill i can think of laying on the ground, the pits, walking drills, and pullup bar drills. Our school district does not allow any form of military rope training.
He is a first year sophomore, pr 11' (hobling down the runway from a 3 left) and in excellent shape from years of gymnastics. Can anyone recommend some more drills i can work him through?
"You have the choice to scale new heights, to achieve all you are capable of achieving"

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Re: No Impact Drills?

Unread postby botakatobi » Thu May 03, 2012 2:09 pm

I always thought drills in the pool were both fun and useful. Set up a hose draped across the pool as a bar. Maybe a foot under the surface. Use a pole off the bottom and do rock/extention/pull turn push drills. Aim for a four foot push off.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:02 am

Not pole vault specific, but can be handle sprinting in place on the pole vault pit? I'm guessing as a former gymnast that running is one of his biggest weaknesses.

hetchie
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Coach/College Vautler
Lifetime Best: 4.72
Favorite Vaulter: Rory Quiller

Unread postby hetchie » Fri May 04, 2012 11:09 am

He has had a couple practices where he has been able to make a pretty decent approach, and he was pretty quick. I'll try doing something like that in the pits, thank you. And as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer we'll be in the pool! (We're in the mountains in Colorado, still a bit cold for swimming)
"You have the choice to scale new heights, to achieve all you are capable of achieving"

Return to “Pole Vault - General”