higher opening heights?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

straightup
PV Nerd
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14-3
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: lazaro borges

higher opening heights?

Unread postby straightup » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:58 pm

here in new york many meets and invitaionals open at 8 feet (or even lower!) which results in me sitting for as many as 6 hours until the bar gets up to my opening height. honestly i think that it should be at lowest 9 feet. anyone else think so?
get over or get out

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Re: higher opening heights?

Unread postby botakatobi » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:23 pm

Meet organizers knew 100 years ago, that a track meet generally exceeding 2.5 to 3 hours would be too long and lose spectators. The event which made the meet go long was (and still is) the pole vault. Officials have been instructed since then to have an opening height that would be high enough to quickly get to the higher heights of the best vaulters.

Every season I see exceptions to the above. These exceptions are typically invitationals which try to provide all competitors with an achievable opening height.

DLM
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Master, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 12.6
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Unread postby DLM » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:15 pm

I am sorry that you have to wait so long, but remember back when you started. Unless you were born jumping over 9' you would have been one of the one's you are wining about. It's not just about you.

straightup
PV Nerd
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14-3
Favorite Vaulter: lazaro borges

Unread postby straightup » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:26 am

i find it worse when people go from like 9 to 10 instead of 9-6. but there is no real happy medium
get over or get out

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Usually the factor that slows the progress of the pole vault during a meet is not the opening height, but the time between jumps. If the athletes, officials and pit crew are not on the same page, it can triple the amount of time the event takes. I suspect in your case, all three can do more to speed up the event.

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official

Unread postby botakatobi » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:26 pm

vaultmd wrote:Usually the factor that slows the progress of the pole vault during a meet is not the opening height, but the time between jumps. If the athletes, officials and pit crew are not on the same page, it can triple the amount of time the event takes. I suspect in your case, all three can do more to speed up the event.

If the crew is good, and the time between jumps is around a minute, starting low dramatically adds to the total number of jumps and the total length of the event.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:45 pm

botakatobi wrote:
vaultmd wrote:Usually the factor that slows the progress of the pole vault during a meet is not the opening height, but the time between jumps. If the athletes, officials and pit crew are not on the same page, it can triple the amount of time the event takes. I suspect in your case, all three can do more to speed up the event.

If the crew is good, and the time between jumps is around a minute, starting low dramatically adds to the total number of jumps and the total length of the event.

Does anyone else agree with that statement? It doesn't match what I've seen over the last 40 years. It seems what is being asserted is that there are more second and third attempt clearances if the meet is run well.

botakatobi
PV Whiz

Unread postby botakatobi » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:20 am

Example #1 Starting height 15'. Progressions 15 cm. Top vaulters are 18 footers. 30 entrants.

Example #2 Starting height 8'. Progressions 15 cm. Top vaulters are 18 footers. 30 entrants.

Example #2 cannot help having more jumps even if all first attempt clearances. More jumps equals increased event time.

VaulterChick122
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'

Unread postby VaulterChick122 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:23 pm

Do they allow you to have warm up jumps after passing a certain number of heights. I know in New Jersey if you pass 3 heights you get a few warm up jumps in.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:25 am

VaulterChick122 wrote:Do they allow you to have warm up jumps after passing a certain number of heights. I know in New Jersey if you pass 3 heights you get a few warm up jumps in.

You get two minutes of warmup time when you have passed three heights. A higher opening height means less people will get that warmup time.

Opening height and the height progression should be reasonable for the type of meet and athletes entered. Dual meets it should be low. Invites it should probably be higher, depending on the type of invite and the field. The top vaulters need to learn how to be able to sit for awhile and compete with minimal warmup.

We had an invite Friday. There was miscommunication with the bus driver and the kids got there late. Boys were vaulting first and mine showed up at the meet 15 minutes before the bar was going up. My kids don't need much in the way of warmup jumps, so rather than having them rush through their general warmup in order to get maybe one trip down the runway, I had them take their time warming up and their only run throughs were in the two minutes before they came in. They both did fine, made several bars. I think at our last home meet, my top guy had 4x100 during warmups and also took his only warmup vaults during the two minute period.

I don't like seeing top vaulters sit for hours, but I think with the two minute rule, if they pay attention and get good and warm before their clock starts, there's no reason waiting for a long time should be the end of the world.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”