What can I do?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

WillyD
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

What can I do?

Unread postby WillyD » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:51 pm

I'm a senior in high school and I only started vaulting last year but I love it. The problem is that, partially due to health problems such as breaking my wrist last year my pr is only 9 feet. I'm going to be going to Georgia Tech next year and I am under no delusion that I will be able to vault there no matter how well the next few weeks of the season go. I'm jut wondering if anybody has advice for what I can do to keep vaulting next year. I don really care about whether I get to compete, I just want to be able to keep vaulting.

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Re: What can I do?

Unread postby botakatobi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:31 am

Some colleges allow walk-ons, regardless of their PR. If the coach says OK, your issue is solved. If the coach is not willing to let you practice, check for private pole vault clubs in your area.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:14 am

WillyD wrote:I'm a senior in high school and I only started vaulting last year but I love it. The problem is that, partially due to health problems such as breaking my wrist last year my pr is only 9 feet. I'm going to be going to Georgia Tech next year and I am under no delusion that I will be able to vault there no matter how well the next few weeks of the season go. I'm jut wondering if anybody has advice for what I can do to keep vaulting next year. I don really care about whether I get to compete, I just want to be able to keep vaulting.

Here's a club in Atlanta: http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtop ... 18&t=23179

WillyD
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Unread postby WillyD » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks for the replies.
And just so you get an idea of my record of injuries I strained my shoulder last week. Story of my life.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”