NEW FREE POLE VAULT APP FOR SMARTPHONE

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

CoachAlBerardi
PV Newbie
Expertise: usatf level 1 coach, npvcaa member, club coach, premasters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: radion gataullin

NEW FREE POLE VAULT APP FOR SMARTPHONE

Unread postby CoachAlBerardi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:06 pm

** IPHONE VERSION IS UP AND READY FOR DOWNLOAD!!*****
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pole-vau ... 46489?mt=8

hey everyone, i have not been here in awhile but i wanted to let everyone know i just finished launching through my company, stabby software LLC, my pole vault app.

POLE VAULT COMPANION, an interactive app that displays height, and / or standard depth with both english and metric conversions. you can adjust the slide pieces in each window of the app to scroll the heights/depth, or you can manually adjust feet, inches, meters, or centimeters for accurate heights.

this app, best of all, is FREE for smartphone android users!!! yep i am giving it away to fellow lovers of droid. updates will include new features like save functions for tracking your standards for each height you jump in meets and possibly other printable fun stuff when you visit stabbysoftware.com but for now , this is a must have to help our less than sharp officials who can't convert at meets move smoothly without holding up the whole competition, useful for parents who can't easily follow the action, and for young vaulters and coaches who need to brush up on their conversions.

this app is the only app on the market made FOR pole vaulters, BY a pole vaulter, and as a coach i can tell you nothing would make me happier than everyone having a useful tool like this. hopefully the first of many useful smartphone / tablet tools to make track meets go easier and quicker :)

IPHONE/IPAD / IPOD TOUCH version coming this week or next, apple version will cost you a buck though. you can blame apple's development cost for that. if it were free like droid you'd pay nothing for it. there is also a donate button on the about page of the droid version if you love us kick in some coin :)

ENJOY! SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME AND ENCOURAGED!!! LETS MAKE IT BETTER!! contact us directly at http://www.stabbysoftware.com

search pole vault companion on droid market OR

to install remotely, just follow this link and click install, then put in ur phone number and droid will automatically start downloading.
https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... BhbmlvbiJd
Last edited by CoachAlBerardi on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: NEW FREE POLE VAULT APP FOR SMARTPHONE

Unread postby altius » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:25 pm

Invite me to your party when you make your first million Al. :P
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:23 am

Question: Is use of a cell phone on the field during a competition allowed? I thought all electronic devices were banned. I'm asking that as a separate question for high school and college competitions. Thanks.
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:35 am

master wrote:Question: Is use of a cell phone on the field during a competition allowed? I thought all electronic devices were banned. I'm asking that as a separate question for high school and college competitions. Thanks.

The athletes can't use them at any level. As far as coaches go, I think it's up to the games committee. I don't think I've ever seen a rule that bans them for coaches, but I know they often are banned.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:36 am

Are the conversions based off of Track and Fields News's Gold Book (or Green Book or any other previous version)?

CoachAlBerardi
PV Newbie
Expertise: usatf level 1 coach, npvcaa member, club coach, premasters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5m
Favorite Vaulter: radion gataullin

Unread postby CoachAlBerardi » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:12 pm

The conversions are not an input based spit out conversion, its a slide bar that uses rounding based on their official units of a metric inch by the USATF and International olympic committee and then using that it rounds down. therefore your bar setting will never be higher than the legal conversion in the big gold book, however one or two heights here and there may be 1/16 of an inch lower than the recorded official value due to seemingly non mathmatical and random up rounding done in the big gold book.

this app is fairly dead on to the green book, however this app is mostly for practice and coaches and parents who can't seem to follow the action when the measurements vary.

its designed to really be useful with standard placement which is the most common issue i've found at track meets, and the heights are 99.9% accurate for downrounding.

however due to the randomness of the gold books rounding, no mathmatical equation can ever be written to produce identical results, but we may enter the conversions manually in an update for the app in the future if someone decides they need it officially done to spec.

this app is just to make lives easier so you dont have to bust out the book and go rummaging all the time, but it was not designed to be a MEET TOOL for official use, and is NOT USATF sanctioned, nor HIGH SCHOOL sanctioned.

athletes may NOT use cell phones or pad devices durring a meet, and officials should be armed w/ the gold book at all times, and IF (often) they forget to bring it, and NO coaches have it, this just may be ur solution to getting the meet going but its not supposed to be an official tool, just an accurate mathmatical reading of ur heights.

coaches MAY use this on off the infield at a meet since pads and cell phones are ok, however i do not know why an official would need one as he/she should be armed w/ an official chart at all times as part of the job.

steveosiris
PV Newbie
Expertise: former college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 16 6
Favorite Vaulter: toby stephenson

Unread postby steveosiris » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:38 pm

master wrote:Question: Is use of a cell phone on the field during a competition allowed? I thought all electronic devices were banned. I'm asking that as a separate question for high school and college competitions. Thanks.

Be careful if you are using this app as a vaulter, because you will be disqualified if you are using a phone during a competition, but there is nothing wrong with your coaches using the app, and it can be a very helpful tool for coaches to use. Glad to see this app works with my Hosted Voip PBX on my mobile phone. Sometimes apps do not work because I have Hosted Voip PBX, but it seems like this app works perfectly with it. If you are curious if your sip provider will support this app, you should contact your residential voip providers before downloading the app. It works brilliantly on my phone, and I think it will really help me out with coaching during competitions.
Last edited by steveosiris on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JohnS
PV Newbie

Unread postby JohnS » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:30 am

CoachAlBerardi wrote: (snip)
however due to the randomness of the gold books rounding, no mathmatical equation can ever be written to produce identical results, but we may enter the conversions manually in an update for the app in the future if someone decides they need it officially done to spec.

Al,
The Gold Book is not random, they simply add a rounding ofset before truncation. It can be "reverse-engineered," and is completely algorithmic and programmable, even if the algorithm seems "strange." See my remarks near the ends of the two metric/english threads. The "frustration" thread explains the algorithm for conversions done by hand or with a calculator, the "all is answered" thread gives an Excel formula. Both appear to match the Gold Book exactly. Remember the Gold book is metric to english. It converts measured, official results (NCAA, USATF, etc) to unofficial english results for announcement to the audience and the media.

In the reverse direction (high school), measured english results are converted exactly, then truncated to the whole centimeter (USATF reverse calculator). The conversion may not be used for records, only for qualifying marks. The two algorithms are not symmetric, and double conversion, metric-english-metric may round differently than the original mark. You need to know which is the measured mark and which is converted.

Feel free to use it, but double-check it yourself. Warranty is limited to purchase price (zero).

Return to “Pole Vault - General”