New World Class indoor Facility in Southeast US

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Vault101 Boy
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

New World Class indoor Facility in Southeast US

Unread postby Vault101 Boy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:10 am

Some of ya'll may have heard of the new Crossplex in Birmingham, AL that was just constructed. It features an olympic sized swimming pool as well as a hydraulic track and two "pits" of everything except shot. It is undeniably a vast improvement to Alabama's old indoor facility aka "the barn" which smelled of horses, death and misery. Its state of the art and i believe will be hosting some of the NCAA meets this year as well as plethora of middle school and high school meets. If any southeast teams are lookin for a roadtrip track meet definitely consider dropping by for a visit, I can post high school and middle school meet dates if you want to call about entering (i only know these to be 6a meets but maybe the lower divisions have meets those days too). Birmingham is a pretty neat place, theres some interesting landmarks and whatnot and if you're bored our team will always be glad to hang out with out of state teams on meet days or weekends, beware though, the girls team is pretty hyperactive ;).
Anyways heres the link if you want to check it out.

http://www.birminghamal.gov/birminghamcrossplex.aspx

Vault101 Boy
PV Fan

Re: New World Class indoor Facility in Southeast US

Unread postby Vault101 Boy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:37 am

i take that back, they do have dual "runways" for everything, including 2 sectors for shotput. my mistake.

PV-ATL
PV Whiz
Expertise: PV Coach, Club Owner (Pole Vault Atlanta, PV-ATL)
Lifetime Best: 14-6
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren

Unread postby PV-ATL » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:06 pm

Vault101,

We here in GA were really excited about this new facility. Problem is, all the HS meets are just that...HS meets. No clubs, no unattached.

Our rules here say, since we have no "official" indoor season, we can only compete in one indoor meet and it has to be after Jan. 23. That leaves us one meet for my club, if the HS coach wants to send 'em.

I was hoping for a USATF, AAU, or open meet there. I guess not this year. We will be going to Clemson and U Florida for indoors. Good meets both, but Birmingham would be fun! Bummer!

Cheers,

PV-ATL

Vault101 Boy
PV Fan

Unread postby Vault101 Boy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:27 pm

Aww i hate that for ya'll! I was hoping maybe some clubs could enter in as individuals, we sent our guys xc seem to regionals as a non-school affiliated team so i was thinking that might be a possibility for indoor track. If i here of any later meets during the year I'll pass it on!

Vault101 Boy
PV Fan

Unread postby Vault101 Boy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:34 pm

I believe our school is cohosting that January 27-28 meet so if anyone feels like coming and the indoor rules won't interfere let me know. The website is a bit skimpish on the details on the entry rules, i have a sheet lying around somewhere that may shed light on the matter.

PV-ATL
PV Whiz

Unread postby PV-ATL » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:36 am

V-101,

Nah... we can't go to that one (Jan. 27-28) either. At least as a club. The webmaster on Alabama Runners (Milesplit), says "No clubs, no unattached".

I will take your shout-out to any USATF, AAU, or open /masters meets there. So please contact me in you can. I was wondering, could an 8th grader jump in the meet as a JV kid on the "Lower Pit"?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

PV-ATL

PV-ATL
PV Whiz

Unread postby PV-ATL » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:09 pm

V-101,

Just found out: AAU Meet @ Birmingham CrossPlex: February 18 & 19, 2012.

Looks like we will be going to that one!

Cheers,

PV-ATL

Vault101 Boy
PV Fan

Unread postby Vault101 Boy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:30 am

Awesome!! I went to the facility today with a few of our distance runners to watch some of our graduated veterans run. The facility is incredible!! Its got a 60 meterish 5 lane mondo warm up stretch by the locker rooms (which are behind and below the stands), and the seating offers complete viewing of all the events especially the vault pits. They are only allowing 1/4 inch spikes (no christmas trees or needle spikes).

And PV-ATL, when yall come down you should know about the neighborhood the facility is in. Birmingham is a great city, but the particular area the crossplex is in is not exactly the safest of places and I would caution your younger athletes to remain inside the facility and definitely not roam the outside area. They're is more than enough security at the crossplex and ive never felt safer, but keep the cool downs and warm ups on the track or in the facility, id hate for anything to happen anyone and ruin a fun trip. Anyways thats the advice we have received from our coaches and i wanted to pass that along to people unfamiliar with the area so nobody finds themselves in a bad situation.

Cant wait to see yall there!

PV-ATL
PV Whiz

Unread postby PV-ATL » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:30 pm

V-101,

Thanks! We will be ready. I, now, have to register AAU (...we are USATF...) and wait for information.

Cheers,

PV-ATL

KYSEAMAN
PV Whiz
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 17'10.5
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud

Unread postby KYSEAMAN » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:04 am

Don't get me wrong - I love the Birmingham Crossplex, I have jumped multiple PRs there this season... just don't leave the stadium for a jog, or turn down the wrong street, ever seen the "First 48"? Notice the Birmingham Crossplex in bottom right corner - this is from today's newspaper
Attachments
C1.jpg
C1.jpg (149.27 KiB) Viewed 9525 times
Follow me on Twitter @PVSeaman
www.takogrip.com - The ONLY pole vault grip tape.
Knoxville, TN

Return to “Pole Vault - General”