Too Weak For Pole Vaulting?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

MrBanchan
PV Newbie
Expertise: Beginner
Lifetime Best: 0
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Too Weak For Pole Vaulting?

Unread postby MrBanchan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:26 am

Hi I've been getting interested in Track and Field and one event that caught my attention was pole vaulting. I was wondering if I didnt have the correct body for it because im pretty skinny. Im around 5'10 and 110 pounds (I know...) and I was wondering If this is a bad body for pole vaulting? Thanks. Also it would be great if i could get some techniques. Im thinking about trying out for our Track Team im a Freshman in High school

Barto
PV Great

Re: Too Weak For Pole Vaulting?

Unread postby Barto » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:14 am

If you can do 1 chin up, then you are strong enough to pole vault. Extra strength always helps, but is not a requirement. Actually, your body type is very good for pole vaulting. It is true that you are a bit too skinny now, but as you grow you will probably become the tall lean athlete that excells in the vault. Good Luck!
Facts, Not Fiction

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:33 pm

A little trivia!!! 1961-Virginia HS State Champion--6' tall 116 lbs.--16' Swedish steel pole --winning height--11'8"--and i might add, i ran the 100 yd. dash in 3 days and 3 nights--and i might add i went on to win back to back Masters World Championships--Charlie Polhamus--YES, YOU CAN BE A VAULTER!!!!!!!

MrBanchan
PV Newbie
Expertise: Beginner
Lifetime Best: 0

Unread postby MrBanchan » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:30 pm

Alright thanks guys you just raised my hopes :)!! Can you guys give me some tips so i can practice or get stronger and ready for it when Track season starts?

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:09 pm

Start with push ups, leg lifts, and body weight squats. Stay with these until you can do 30 reps of each in 30 seconds, then come back and I can suggest phase 2 exercises.
Facts, Not Fiction

Return to “Pole Vault - General”