FiberBenders told to cease and desist at current location!

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

FiberBenders told to cease and desist at current location!

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:16 am

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=317595

Spring Township moves to stop pole vaulting camp
Erin Negley

A Spring Township facility that bills itself as a place where pole vaulting champions are shaped and sharpened has run afoul of township officials.

FiberBenders International offers pole vaulting lessons, clinics and overnight camps at a 6-acre site along Chapel Hill Road. This year's first summer camp is scheduled to start today, according to the company website.

But Spring Township has taken several steps, including a cease-and-desist order and a court injunction, to stop the track and field camp from operating without the necessary permits.

"It's a unique use that has a place somewhere, but it never went through the process to assure the campers are being taken care of properly," said Aaron Wozniak, township zoning officer.

Property owner Lance Atkins, who is the company director, was unavailable for comment. FiberBenders has offered pole vaulting lessons to student-athletes for 27 years, according to its website. The business started at Kutztown University with Atkins and Olympic pole vaulting medalist Jan Johnson.

In 1992, Atkins bought the parcel in Spring Township. The business used to house vaulters at Penn State Berks, but bunkhouses were added to the Spring Township site in 2005 to eliminate the travel time, the website states.

Spring Township learned about the bunkhouses last August after parents of a camper complained about the camp conditions, Wozniak said.

Township staff investigated and realized the business was operating without the required zoning or building permits, so the township sent Atkins a cease-and-desist order. The township also issued a citation for operating a dorm or boarding house without a building permit.

Among the concerns were fire safety, parking, handicapped accessibility and the food service area, Wozniak said.

Wozniak said he recently saw a brochure online for this summer's activities, even though the business still hasn't submitted a land development plan or applied for permits.

The township recently sent Atkins a letter reminding him of the cease-and-desist order, he said. And Spring supervisors agreed Monday to seek an injunction to stop operations.

Berks County Judge Timothy Rowley issued the injunction Tuesday. Wozniak said that at the court hearing Atkins said he was trying to relocate the camp to Alvernia University.

j111oncher
PV Newbie
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'6"

Re: FiberBenders told to cease and desist at current location!

Unread postby j111oncher » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:58 pm

can you please keep and update on this i going to be attending the camp in aug. thank you

kevinnan
PV Newbie
Expertise: parent

Unread postby kevinnan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:53 am

I had signed my daughter up for 2 weekends at this camp and have heard nothing about a refund. Do you have any further information? Has anyone been refunded their money?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:44 pm

They could have resolved the issues or they could have moved the camp. I do not know the answers, I recommend that you keep trying to contact Lance.

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:23 pm

Keep trying lance is usually pretty good about these things
Bruce

joebro391
PV Follower
Expertise: Current College Vaulter (Samford University)
Lifetime Best: 15'6
Favorite Vaulter: Duplantis, Borges, Bubka

Unread postby joebro391 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:42 am

:dazed: I was supposed to coach here this summer...Lance could only afford to hire two of his athletes of like 10 years so I couldn't be mad at him for that in this terrible economy. Fiberbenders was the first camp I ever attended and it was a lot of fun. Nothing unsafe, in fact the living conditions were better than most college dorms. Shame the town (and apparently a parent or two) had to be such dudley-dorights. -6P
PR: 15'6 !!PETROV/6.40 MODEL!! http://www.youtube.com/user/joebro391

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:52 am

joebro391 wrote:Shame the town (and apparently a parent or two) had to be such dudley-dorights. -6P

He should have made sure he had all of his ducks in a row, especially for doing sleepover camps.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”