The Wait is the hardest part

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

CaptainKelly
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Yelena Isinbayeva

The Wait is the hardest part

Unread postby CaptainKelly » Sun May 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers say "The wait is the hardest part." I am a high school vaulter and am in a league with only a few vaulters. This makes it so at dual meets I am either the only female vaulter or I am up against one other girl. The whole event lasts maybe 15 minutes. Then I go to big invitations with 20+ vaulters and I don't know what to do with so much time between my jumps. Usually I just get cold, psych myself out and don't get the heights I want. With Subs, Districts and State coming up I want to find someway to handle the wait without getting cold, tired or psyched out. Any advice?

crayford
PV Fan
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'3"

Re: The Wait is the hardest part

Unread postby crayford » Sun May 08, 2011 4:58 pm

For getting tired: honey and/or bananas always works for me, simple sugars that break down quickly can provide just the right jolt you need to stay focused and energetic

For getting cold: Put on more clothes, heck, put on a hat! If you're waiting long periods of time between jumps and all you have on is your uniform, you're going to get cold. In my area the weather has only recently stayed above 60* F so it is fairly common to see vaulters wearing sweatpants, shorts, tee-shirts, spandex tops/bottoms, hats, gloves, hoodies, and even windbreakers all at the same time between jumps.

For getting psyched out: this is up to you. I've found that certain music has put me into the right mindset, while other songs can completely mess up my vault. I suggest you buy and read the book Mind Gym by Gary Mack/David Casstevens, it has helped me out, and by teaching some of the methods in it to the other vaulters on my team, it has helped them out, too.

I'm jealous of your quick sessions, though, ours tend to run a minimum of 2 hours at small meets, while large meets run closer to 5.
Hips to nips

Viola Vaulter
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High school Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: The Wait is the hardest part

Unread postby Viola Vaulter » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:14 pm

I can totally relate, I am in the same situation as you. Among the last vaulters to come in. At least I have some sprints to run that keep me occupied but still... I find that I am more likely to get psyched out than anything while waiting.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”