Post pole vaulting life

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Post pole vaulting life

Unread postby EIUvltr » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:39 pm

I pole vaulted in college and now I'm 25 and looking for some new athletic endeavors. Does anyone have any recommendations?? Something a bit more athletic than bar league softball, but not as intense as training for the vault. What is a good tweener sport?
"If he dies, he dies"

starkey480
PV Whiz
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: Post pole vaulting life

Unread postby starkey480 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:08 pm

My dad Dean Starkey liked to ride dirt bikes and motocross. If you live near a beach then surfing is always fun too

starkey480
PV Whiz

Unread postby starkey480 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:09 pm

Oh nvm the surfing I didn't see that you live in illinois

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:13 pm

Mountain biking. It is so much more fun than road biking, jogging and other routine exercise. Plus, the danger aspect allows you get an adrenaline rush you won't get in most activities. It becomes addictive very quickly. You'll start planning your vacations based on where you ride some single track on the side.

It can also be relatively expensive so you'll get a similar feeling dropping $3K+ a bike like you would on a pole series.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

smokinvaulter1
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Semi Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.55m
Favorite Vaulter: Joe Dial

Unread postby smokinvaulter1 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:16 pm

After 18years of vaulting I retired an went back to racing my first love in sports. I think I should of retired earlier I'm having too much fun and loving every minute of it. Racing dirt modifieds and go karts expensive hobbies but tons of fun.

netoselva
PV Newbie
Expertise: National team athlete and national team coach
Lifetime Best: 4.70m
Favorite Vaulter: yelena isinbayeva

Unread postby netoselva » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:38 pm

Parcour and MMA worked for me right now im doing mostly MMA (mixed martial arts) and i think it cleared my mind so now i might come back to pole vaulting.....parcour allowed me to still have the gymnastics and running ability so i could return to vaulting

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:24 pm

Out here in Oregon (and other parts of the northwest) there is a type of mountain bike riding they call "freeriding" that looks pretty challenging. Here is a video story by Oregon Public Broadcasting.
http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1562
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Nice video, John! Mountain biking was the first sport that I got into after quitting pole vault the first time around. It is great in many ways but is expensive and easy to mess yourself up. Freeriding requires a certain kind of bike that can take huge drops ($$$), but just regular cross-country mountain biking can be done with an average bike.

Paddling is another great sport...canoe, kayak, stand-up paddling...it's great to be on the water and good upper body/core exercise. Not much whitewater in Illinois, but you've got lots of rivers and lake Michigan is great for sea kayaking.

My favorite sport other than pole vaulting is bouldering...rock climbing on relatively short, technical climbs with no rope or harness. Climbing 20' high boulders and committing to the top-out is almost as exciting as clearing a high bar. Not to be outdone by master, I figured I should post a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1cGseVcG2A

There is a lot of excellent bouldering in Southern Illinois...part of the "sandstone belt." Not sure what part of Ill you are in, but there is also great roped climbing at the Red River Gorge in Kentucky and also some at Devil's Lake, WI (N. of Madison). Climbing at an indoor rock gym will give you an idea if you like the sport; you can rent shoes and a chalkbag without having to make an initial investment. If you like it, shoes are $100-150, chalkbag $20, and pad ~$100-$200...it's free once you get this stuff. Many climbers who live in the "flatlands" train during the week in rock gyms and take trips to climbing spots on weekends. Do a search on Illinois climbing to find areas near you, or use these links.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/Nort ... /Illinois/
http://www.ilclimbers.org/pages/area_overview.html
Tom

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Disc Golf! :P
On a whole new level 6-20-09

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:44 pm

KYLE ELLIS wrote:Disc Golf! :P

You gotta start pot smoking though. Depending on the person that's either a good or bad thing.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:41 pm

I try to give back to the pole vault community! By sharing my experiences and my knowledge of the event!
Protecting the pole vault event as well as promoting it is important for its survival!
I am not the only one who does this there are many older vaulters male and female giving back to the community!
Some barely make a living and at least cover their expenses in an effort to bring you more enjoyment in the sport!
Old pole vaulter never die they just use shorter and softer pole as well as the help others to enhance their abilities!
( this seems like a double antante grin no intention just happened)
Bruce Caldwell

http://www.therightpole.com

http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20536

Vaultiletics
PV Nerd

Unread postby Vaultiletics » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:01 pm

There are two that I do and will continue to do when I am done jumping.

1) Skydiving! Somewhat pricey.
Take an AFF or static line class. ($1,000) to complete all training)
Invest in a good chute and learn how to pack in the course! ($2,000)
Once certified most drop zones (jump sites) just charge for the ride up $15-$25.
If you have your own equipment, pack your own chute, and can ride out the initial costs, skydiving is a blast!

2) Disc Golf ... A started set of discs... driver... approach... putter can cost around $25 total. Most courses are free to play and contrary to belief you do not have to use marijana! (what a goober comment) Though some idiots do smoke weed.

There are tournaments all around the nation including beginner, intermediate and pro divisions and it is challenging without the frustrations of regular golf. It is a causal sport and a good way to spend time with friends and family too!

Return to “Pole Vault - General”