Jeff Hartwig & dj Arkansas Track and Field Hall of Fame

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Jeff Hartwig & dj Arkansas Track and Field Hall of Fame

Unread postby dj » Thu May 13, 2010 12:09 pm

Jeff Hartwig - dj Arkansas Track & Field Hall of Fame induction...

April 2, 2010

Dear Track & Field Sports Fan:

The Board of Directors of the Arkansas Track & Field Hall of Fame (ATFHF) cordially invites you to come and be a part of our 16th Annual Induction Banquet and help us recognize the Class of 2010.

The banquet will be held on Saturday evening June 5, 2010, starting at 6:30 p.m. at the Wyndham Riverfront Hotel in North Little Rock, Arkansas. Banquet ticket information is included on a separate page.

As a sports fan you may personally know one or more of more of the Class of 2010 as a coach, teammate, friend, or simply as an outstanding track athlete of their era. The honorees include the following track coaches and track athletes:

Waymond Griggs Camden High School and Abilene Christian University
Jeff Hartwig Arkansas State University
David F. Johnston Elaine High School and University of Central Arkansas
James Lemley Van Buren HS, College of the Ozarks and FS Southside
Wilbur Owen Conway High School and University of Central Arkansas
Roderick Parker Masters Track and Field Athlete
Monika Klebe Unger Arkansas State University
Dan Veach Southern Arkansas University

For your information a brief bio on each honoree is included.

The mission of the ATFHF is to recognize and honor individuals who have excelled in the sport of track and field, which includes cross-country, indoor and outdoor track and field. Because we hope you might be a track and field enthusiast, too, we have enclosed a Membership Application and invite you to join ATFHF and help us nominate and select our 2011 honorees.

We invite you to be present at our Induction Banquet on Saturday evening, June 5, to help us recognize the ATFHF Class of 2010. We feel certain they would be honored by your presence.

Sincerely,

Jim Brown, President, ATFHF

Other names that might be familiar that are already in are:

1995-Earl Bell, Guy Kochel

1997-Al Joyner

1998-Clyde Hart

2001-Dick Booth

2005-Dr. Bell

this is my greatest honor and i'm very proud to be mentioned with those going in with me and before me.. pretty good list from the little old state of Ark.. a few Olympic medals associated with the group..

awesome

dj

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Jeff Hartwig & dj Arkansas Track and Field Hall of Fame

Unread postby Bubba PV » Thu May 13, 2010 2:09 pm

Just saw this today. Awesome news and CONGRATS!! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Jeff Hartwig & dj Arkansas Track and Field Hall of Fame

Unread postby dj » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:42 pm

hye

very awesome.. and i want to thank the Arkansas Hall of Fame board... and the great pole vault people already inducted...

unfortunately Jeff didn't get to attend.. maybe next year he will be available...

a couple of awesome things relating to pole vaulting.......

first they honor the Arkansas top track athletes of the year... guess what !! pole vaulters on the bo7ys and girls top 5... AND three of the top school boys in the nation!!!

AND coached my Mr. Morry Sanders.. the absolute best pole vault coach of young vaulters in the entire country.. the only one i see giving him a little "push" is tim St Lawrence in New York..

great job Arkansas vaulters ans Morry..

Last... Guy Kochel was the MC.. he had a pretty good NCAA run in his own right.. ?? three or more champions???

here is his summation and advice...

we made shirts in the 70's with this on the back... "Run Fast...Hold High & use a Big Stick!"

He made this statement... "in the early 80's he was the USA vault coordinator.. we started doing this high tech bio-research.. after a few thousands of dollars here is what was found to be true.. in the vault.. The guy that ran the fastest and held the highest won 98% of the time...".. we didn't need the research.. our shirts had said that 10 years before that........

pretty profound..

the moral of the story... train hard.. study the fundamentals.. and practice the things that will allow you to "run fast and hold high"....

nothing more.. nothing less..

thank you Guy Kochel

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - General”