Pole vault= pull your hair out!

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Pole vault= pull your hair out!

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:50 pm

Does anyone else think pole vaulting is the most frustrating sport ever? :mad: I like to say I hate pole vaulting a lot I guess it makes me feel better when I suck! ahhhhhhhhhhh :mad:
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Unread postby Peepers PV » Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:00 pm

The most frustrating ever? Well, when you're concentrating your training on one thing for a long time and not seeing any improvement, that can be a bit rough, but have faith- you'll get through it :).

Whenever I get down on myself at practice cause I don't think I'm getting any better, my coach always tells me that it takes at least 10,000 trips down the runway for you to get your vault to perfection... and that I'm prob not there yet lol. This always helps me realize that people who are elite vaulters didn't get that way through luck or chance, but through hard work and determination. Look at Jeff Hartwig- he only jumped 14'6 in high school, 17'8.5 in college, but he kept with it and now he's the american record holder!

My advice to you would be just to stick with it. Whatever you're working on will come, and try to keep a positive outlook on it too (no matter how hard it is)- you'd be surprised at how much that really helps. You'll be glad you did when you start PRing at every meet :D! Good luck!

Lori
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:02 pm

" the bigger the effort the bigger the disappointment" :P

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:35 am

well, ya i agree that when you work hard at one little thing for a few weeks, and it doesnt seem to be doign any good, it does get kinda annoying.. of course then eventually itl pay off and youll jump higher, but waiting for that can be less than fun.. Most frustrating ever? i dunno... my dad tried to teach me to golf a few years ago.. now talk about frustrating.. ill say this, iv never seen anyone vaulting swear for 20 minutes, then chuck their poles in the nearest water hazard :P
What have you done today to get better?

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Unread postby Peepers PV » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:41 am

Yep, I'm going to have to agree with mcminkz05 on this one. Golf is definitely more frustrating. And other than bowling and pro baseball, it's the only sport in which you can smoke, drink, and have a beer belly but still be called a pro athelte.
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:00 am

Peepers PV wrote:Yep, I'm going to have to agree with mcminkz05 on this one. Golf is definitely more frustrating. And other than bowling and pro baseball, it's the only sport in which you can smoke, drink, and have a beer belly but still be called a pro athelte.

ya, thats what makes that stuff frustrating its more mental than physical, lol. Not to say the vault isnt mental, but you at least have to be partly an athlete to be good, lol. and fishing is a "sport", so are pro fishermen athletes? and my school jus added a bowling team this year.. im sry, but i jus wanna hit anyone wearing a varsity letter for bowling...
What have you done today to get better?

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:24 am

I was talking about if your pr is 16 and you can clear it by a foot or more and you go to the next height and smoke it and hit it on the way down every time!!! Everyone tells me my pole is to small but im not making it in far enough or i would be making 17!!! And its not like I get to practice until its nice weather... ahhhhhhhhhh
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:05 pm

lol..you're complaining for nothing :-p

I'm at 11'6"...have been since last May.........

It gets frustrating, especially when you pretty much plan a good mark and you don't get it...

Axe
PV Beginner

Unread postby Axe » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:19 pm

You've never seen anyone swear for twenty min.s and then chuck their pole at the nearest water hazard. Then don't practice with me. I've never chucked a pole at a water hazard but prob. almost everything else possible. ( i have anger problems, lol) :P
Go Big Or Go Home

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:01 am

Well, the bungee/bar actually rips my hair out for me... my hair is over 2 feet long...
Pole Vaulters get high!

Fo_Sheezy
PV Nerd

Unread postby Fo_Sheezy » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:59 pm

Don't worry about it homie, the worst thing you can do is get pissed and frustrated. I know you're a lot older than me and have a lot more experience, but all I did freshman year in HS was get mad/pissed because I couldn't improve and I would cry all the time. Since then I have just chilled out to a totally calm person at meets, it helps me focus and just relax. So take a chill pill and drink a Slurpee or two (those always calm the nerviest nerves :D ) and then just vault. Good luck and don't get mad. Pole vaulting loves you!
Hey is that a pole in your hand or are you just happy to see me?

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:47 am

In my life, pole vaulting has brought me numerous friendships, happiness, and a whole lot of fun! But it has also been the single most dissappointing factor in my life too! It is for sure a love hate relationship, a never ending rollercoaster. It seems that there are always more valleys than peaks, but when your up; you better enjoy it, because this sport has a way of really kicking you in the ballz!
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties.

Stockdale Paradox

Return to “Pole Vault - General”