How often do you walk away happy?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Re: How often do you walk away happy?

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:59 am

As a volunteer coach of Middle School and High School vaulters - I walk away happy every time one of my vaulters makes a minescule improvement. I walk away happy when I see my newest vaulter go running all the way to the parking lot to tell their parents that they just cleared 5' 6" for the first time in their career - I walk away happy when a middle school vaulter calls to tell me long distance from an away track meet to tell me that they won a medal in the pole vault (the first track medal that they have EVER won) - As a volunteer coach I walk away happy when I feel that I have touched a kids life in a positive manner - Pole vault is an unique sport every time I reflect back to the GREAT times I've had helping kids - I walk away happy.

Split
PV Master
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, lifetime enthusiast
Lifetime Best: 11'0"
Favorite Vaulter: Giovanni Lanaro

Unread postby Split » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:18 pm

decanuck wrote:We get to pole vault. Do you know how lucky we are? Can you imagine how many people see it from the sidelines and wish they could do that for a day? Can you guess what the distance runner on their umpteenth interval of the day thinks as he drudges by the pit looking up in envy of the guy that just sailed two stories through the air and cheered all the way back to earth?

I totally agree! :D
I never met a pole I didn't like.

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:11 am

Split wrote:
decanuck wrote:We get to pole vault. Do you know how lucky we are? Can you imagine how many people see it from the sidelines and wish they could do that for a day? Can you guess what the distance runner on their umpteenth interval of the day thinks as he drudges by the pit looking up in envy of the guy that just sailed two stories through the air and cheered all the way back to earth?

I totally agree! :D

Haha...very true!
I like that mindset! :yes:
Though...there's also that teeny part of me that wishes I COULD run far...:P...I did XC, but I'm still not a great runner.
[I know, we should be in great shape, but seeing as I didn't start doing a sport SERIOUSLY until last year, I'll get better.]
That's why I ran XC...ANY physical activity would help me! [I know, supposedly kills sprint, but it gets my heart in better shape...and we're not discussing the XC/vault issue in this!]
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

Return to “Pole Vault - General”