20 feet

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:12 pm

I believe Bubka could do all that. He was amazing indeed. I think that one thing people seem to forget when talking about all his incredible athletic ability is the fact that the guy had balls of steel, and a phenomenal state of mind when jumping. Will someone jump 20' again? Its inevitable. I think that there are other athletes out there with the same abilities as Sergei (or there will be), but getting past the psychological barriers built into the vault community and that "unattainable" bar will be the difference between another great vaulter, and another legend.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

AR01
PV Whiz

Unread postby AR01 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:09 pm

agreed.

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:50 pm

don't want to hurt any bodys feelings, but American vaulters block so hard that the pole has straightend out by the time they completely cover the pole and get NO lift, but decent vaults. You have to pull a bow back to shoot an arrow. When Bubka's back is parralel to the ground , he has alreadyBENT his left arm and is pulling his HIPS up and through the turn WITH THE POLE STILL REASONABLY BENT , and yes he IS shot up off the end . I have a 100 lb. 7th grader that cand do it and a 12 grader --17' in practice that can doi. The problem is getting a higher grip on bigger pole, and that takes courage. Dean Starkey did it at 19'4 at world championships. And one of the greatest college vaulters Mike Cotton of Fla did it!!! The bottom line is that too much straight arm block makes you swing too far and the pole simply straightens out befor you get verticle and the power provided by the pole is GONE. Any one who wants to learn how to do this can come to Fitzgerald, ga. To the World Class Sports Facility. ( two large pits with rubberized board runways) We currently have 12 hs & college vaulters and train 7 days a week - all year long. Coach Charlie Polhamus- Two Time Masters World Champion & former worl record holder-- cell 229-425-0575

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:02 pm

Is your senior 17' going to Nike Indoor Nationals? What is his name, I'd love to see it live in action there. Thanks for the post!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Mitch
PV Fan

Unread postby Mitch » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:06 pm

I'm calling a bluff on the 17' senior until I see more but I definitely agree with you on the blocking out part. Blocking is usually the road people go down to get on bigger sticks and hold higher.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:13 pm

Lest folk are misled I need to point out that Bubka did not achieve any of the performances I indicated - nor does he have a doctorate in competitio psychology -and I believe he first handled a pole when he was ten years old.

As master rightly pointed out I was 'extracting the urine' as we say down under - essentially because the belief in Bubka's mythological physical parameters has prevented many from seeing the merits of the technical model he employed. :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 am

Good morning

Too many short runs… and too many poles to choose from.

And yes there are jumpers jumping today that have the talent to jump 20’

most of them will be in beijing.

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

PVG8R
PV Beginner

Unread postby PVG8R » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:27 pm

20 feet will come again one day..... just give me a few more years! ;)
The better the plant the higher you get

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:15 pm

EDIT:

Bubka is a beast and there are too many rumors about him apparently.
I believed what some people had told me, my bad.

Moderators: feel free to delete this post, i couldnt do it for some reason, so i just edited it instead.
Last edited by vault3rb0y on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:38 pm

i know a personal trainer that saw budka lifting before a meet in i wanna say brazil? i dont know where it was my memory isnt so good. anyways he said that he was impressively strong! like 500 ish squat, 350 ish bench ect and this was before a meet just shocking the muscles! this may have been a misconception on the trainers part i dont know the schedual that he had but still those weights are impressive for anyone!
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:11 pm

"I have heard he could lift twice his body weight over his head, nearly 400Ibs"

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:38 pm Post subject:
"i know a personal trainer that saw budka (sic) lifting before a meet in i wanna say brazil? i dont know where it was my memory isnt so good. anyways he said that he was impressively strong! like 500 ish squat, 350 ish bench ect and this was before a meet just shocking the muscles! this may have been a misconception on the trainers part i dont know the schedual that he had but still those weights are impressive for anyone!"

And the myths continue to grow and flourish! Bubka himself said that he did not emphasise weight training in his program to the point of trying for max lifts. He stated that if you could bench 130% of your body weight (He was listed at 77 kilograms - x 2.2 for pounds, so around 230lbs) you were strong enough to vault high. Take a look at the week of his training program detailed on pages 168 -170 to see what he really did emphasise.

PS. Pretty hard to believe a story when the author cannot even get Bubka's name right! This stuff should go into the high school chat lounge where you can get away with saying stupid things and gossip to your hearts content.. Disappointed in you 3po for getting involved in this sort of rubbish and rumor.

:devil: :mad:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:13 am

I was really just searching for the truth. I found it the hard way.

Im not trying to spread rumors, just find out if what i heard was true, and now i know it isn't.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”