broken pole

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

broken pole

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Here is a nice picture of pole break from 1930:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10882638@N05/1349612771/
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: broken pole

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:04 pm

OH SNAP! (Pole vault humor...) Looks more like bend I guess? Geez that must be 50 times more dangerous than a pole break is now...
Last edited by powerplant42 on Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:20 pm

Don't forget that he's heading for either sand or sawdust! No foamies back then!

On the bright side, the 1932 LA Olympic winner cleared 4.32 (14-2), so this guy can't be much more than 13-14 feet in the air. :D
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:34 pm

Yeah there's a '4' in the background! I would guess that means 4m. KB did you ever jump in sawdust? I'm just curious, that's not an age insult or anything! ;)

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:31 am

Sure, I've jumped into sawdust - and into shavings. Never sand. Shavings was best, because it didn't pack as quickly. We used a barn fork to loosen up the sawdust after every few jumps.

When I started going 13+ feet (my second year with a fiberglass pole), our track team held a "foam drive", where we asked for donations around town from anybody that happened to have any old pieces of foam - from old furniture, mattresses, or whatever. This wasn't until midway through the season, when the need was "obvious".

We put these foam pieces into a fish net, and that's what I used to land on in my high school pit.

For away meets, my mother (who had a vested interest in my safety!) put the fish net full of foam pieces into our station wagon, and followed the team bus (school bus) to other schools. Since they had no pole vaulters using fiberglass, they were going less than 12 feet (more like 10-11 feet), so of course they didn't have any foam either.

You can imagine how little foam will fit in the back of a station wagon! I placed the foam very carefully on top of the sawdust, to the spot where I THOUGHT I might land! :)

It was only when I traveled to the "big city of Vancouver" that they had fairly good foam pits.

Yeh, those were quite the rough conditions back then! But since I worked my way up an inch at a time, I didn't really notice the problem. I just made do with what we had. I did, however, visit the chiropractor on a regular basis. :(

I have a [poor quality] pic that shows a bit of my high school landing pit. Since I'm such an old geezer :), I posted it on the Historical thread here: http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=16117.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:24 am

I do love the free take-off!

Return to “Pole Vault - General”