Good News and Bad News Time

A forum to get help with any features of the message board, or to post suggestions for the board or website.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Good News and Bad News Time

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:35 pm

I just sent this out in a mass email. If you don't get the email, check the address you are registered to the site with, and make sure it is your current address.

It’s time for some good news and bad news from Pole Vault Power…

The good news is that there are lots of cool new things to check out on Pole Vault Power. The video section now has several video clips available for free download. I have also added a section where you can submit video of yourself pole vaulting! http://www.polevaultpower.com/media/video/

I am going to be attending the NCAA Division I Championships in Fayetteville, Arkansas this weekend! Does anyone have a hotel room floor I can crash on? I’ll only need it for Friday night. I have not heard back yet about whether or not I’ll have media credentials, but I’ll try and get some kind of pictures either way.

I am trying to add spring and summer camps and clinics to the Pole Vault Power Network. The Network is also set up to handle competitions, so if you know of any meets in your area, I encourage you to add them to the database. http://www.polevaultpower.com/network/

Now for the bad news…

My hard drive died today. I took it in to the Apple Store and they basically said I am SOL. I have to pay $150 for them to try and get the data off of it, and there is no guarantee they’ll get anything (but I have to pay the $150 either way). After they try to rescue my data, it will be shipped to California where they’ll replace the hard drive (at least that is covered under warranty).

This means I will not have my computer for the next week or two at least. There will not likely be any updates on parts of the website except the Message Board and the Network. I have some of my files backed up, but restoring them will be a long process, because my backups CDs are scattered between Missouri, Texas, and Seattle, and I may lose some of my pictures and files permanently.

This also means I won’t be able to get the Washington HS Rankings going right away. I had everything set up to go, but I will probably have to rebuild the database of schools and such, which means we may not see detailed rankings until a few weeks into the season. I do intend to do rankings this year thanks to the help of Bill Alexander, so be sure to send in results from WA meets.

As always, donations are always appreciated. Right now any money you send me is going toward fixing my computer http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3843

Becca Gillespy
Pole Vault Power
http://www.polevaultpower.com/

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:41 pm

Updates:

They're definitely not getting anything off my hard drive. They claim it would cost $500 to $2000 to take it to this drive savers place and have them try. Wayyyy out of my price range...

More importantly that would make it take a LOT longer before I had a functional computer again. They are shipping it to Apple today to get the hard drive replaced. I'll probably have it back early next week and begin the long slow process of trying to restore stuff from my backups. YAY

As for NCAAs, I forgot I have a friend on the Arkansas gymnastics team, so I am going to stay with her Friday night :) Oh yeah and I got media credentials, yay!

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:20 am

this is exactly why i don't buy apple. If I hose a HD, i drive 10 minutes to Office Depot and pick up a new one and restore off my backups. you backup your HD, right? ;)

http://www.macmaps.com/backup.html
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:38 am

ahhh, I remember one of those parody mac commercials I have on my computer: "Buddy, you own a macintosh, your file is F***ing gone!"
All Hail the Legendary Sobe Beverage

Blackened Sun - My Personal Site

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:38 am

haha i have that too!!!
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:19 am

ashcraftpv wrote:this is exactly why i don't buy apple. If I hose a HD, i drive 10 minutes to Office Depot and pick up a new one and restore off my backups. you backup your HD, right? ;)

http://www.macmaps.com/backup.html

I had some of the important stuff backed up on CD, but I didn't have an external hard drive yet. I wanted one, but I just got a new camera for Christmas and didn't want to ask my parents for anything else :(

USMC Vaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby USMC Vaulter » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:49 pm

Just so you all know - Apple's ROCK
I've been doing digital video editing for years and I wouldnt choose anything other than an Apple to do it on (current toy is a new IMac G5).
Hopefully I'll get to post some of my cool videos when I get back from the desert.
Anyway - Becca, sorry about the files - and as always, thanks for everything you do for our sport by running this awesome site. I hope my little contribution helps.
Matthew Savini
DCHS Vault Coach
www.HighVaultage.com

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:46 pm

Apple is awsome for graphic design (my bro does that and he only is on the Apple for art, but stays away from it as much as possible when not art based) and thats about it.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:21 pm

Well my computer has been sitting in California since the 10th... so I called Apple today to see what was up...

They didn't have the hard drive in stock so they had to order it. It's supposed to come in Friday, which means I won't get my computer back until early to mid next week.

:(

I was really hoping to get it back by this weekend, since I have NO plans, giving me lots of time to work on restoring what I can.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:58 pm

:crying:

but we want pictures now. hehe. j/k.. hope things work out for ya
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:58 am

Well GOOD news is here :D

I got a call from the local Apple store after practice and they got my computer back from CA already!!

I am working on reinstalling software and restoring as many of my old files as I can. Well at least now I have something fun and exciting to do all weekend ;)

Return to “Help and Suggestions”