Excel files

A forum to get help with any features of the message board, or to post suggestions for the board or website.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Excel files

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Sat May 30, 2009 4:10 pm

So I just spent a few hours making an amazing list of meets for the Northeast region. However, this website won't let me upload the excel file into a post. I would really like to upload the file for everyone to see on here, so if anybody has any suggestions, please let me know. I also have a word format of the list, but it isn't quite as organized or awesome.

Thanks,
Andrew

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Excel files

Unread postby KirkB » Sat May 30, 2009 5:42 pm

Cooleo, if your list is narrow enough (for example, the list below), you can follow this process (or one of the many variants to it) ...

1. In Excel, save your file by clicking on "File | Save As ..." and then in the "Save as type" field, select "Formatted text (space delimitted)". This will give you a file with an extension of '.prn'.
2. Open WordPad, and open the file.
3. Copy the list from WordPad to your paste buffer.
4. In the PVP Reply box, click on the Code icon, then paste the buffer (right-click, then Paste).
5. In the Reply box, the spacing won't look correct, but DON'T change any spacing! Just click the Preview button to check that all columns are aligned properly. If you followed the steps properly, the columns will be correctly aligned.

Here's an example of a list that I just used to do this (ignore the content) ...

Code: Select all

Arizona State University                      Mountain Pacific Sports Federation   AZ West Region
California State University, Northridge       Mountain Pacific Sports Federation   CA West Region
University of Arizona                         Mountain Pacific Sports Federation   AZ West Region
University of California, Berkeley            Mountain Pacific Sports Federation   CA West Region
University of California, Los Angeles         Mountain Pacific Sports Federation   CA West Region
University of Washington                      Mountain Pacific Sports Federation   WA West Region
Washington State University                   Mountain Pacific Sports Federation   WA West Region

That should do it! This process will handle lists of almost any length.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Sat May 30, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks, Kirk.
The only problem with your solution is that I have several links to websites in the Excel file, and they do not work in that format. Is there a way I can get the Excel file to work with the organization and links in tact?

Thanks in advance!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat May 30, 2009 6:33 pm

Cooleo111 wrote:Thanks, Kirk.
The only problem with your solution is that I have several links to websites in the Excel file, and they do not work in that format. Is there a way I can get the Excel file to work with the organization and links in tact?

Thanks in advance!

No

Return to “Help and Suggestions”