Today, helmets for all (article)

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

If you live in Hawaii where do you go for vacation?

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:09 pm

SKOT wrote:
Spencer Chang, MD wrote:Sorry,

I will post something longer later as I'm on vacation.

Where does someone from one from a vacation destination go on vacation?

That is a good one SKOT He lives in Hawaii vacation land and I am too curious where he would go on vacation??

PS I am against the requiring of a helmet

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:56 pm

vaultmd wrote: Turned 50 yesterday.

Happy Birthday Wilson! Welcome to the other side.

- master

stormvault
PV Fan

Unread postby stormvault » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:41 pm

So now that there is a standard what does that mean for states that mandate helmets? More importantly what is the standard? Does the helmet have to have a hard outer shell, is it like a football helmet where it would need to be reconditioned and recertified every 5 years?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:06 pm

stormvault wrote:So now that there is a standard what does that mean for states that mandate helmets? More importantly what is the standard? Does the helmet have to have a hard outer shell, is it like a football helmet where it would need to be reconditioned and recertified every 5 years?

It is up to the states and the NFHS what they choose to do with this standard. I am not even sure if those state associations know there is a new standard. I would think from a liability standpoint, this will force them to either require helmets to meet this standard, or drop the requirement.

The standard is pretty complicated. It has to do with the thickness of the helmet (can't be too thick), not limiting vision too much, and how much impact it will absorb (some skateboard helmets are next to worthless in this area). The KDMAX helmet is too thick in the back, that is why it does not meet this new standard.

I don't know if they will need to be reconditioned and recertified. Probably not, but I would imagine if you whacked it good you would need to buy a new one.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:48 pm

master wrote:
vaultmd wrote: Turned 50 yesterday.

Happy Birthday Wilson! Welcome to the other side.

- master

Thanks, John!

Of course, that means I'm back in Gary Hunter's age group. That sucks.

;)

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:28 pm

vaultmd wrote:
Of course, that means I'm back in Gary Hunter's age group. That sucks.

;)

Wilson, I sure don't envy you about that!

- master

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:35 am

This whole topic frustrates me.
With all the respect in the world, Kevin's death was very tragic and untimely, but all the pads and helmets outside of a full-fledged motorcycle helmet would have been no use in his case. Thats because it was a freak accident. Kevin was a good vaulter, and a good guy, and he know what he was doing, it was one of those weird jumps where everything goes haywire.
One of my teamates had a jump like that at the Knoxville Twilight. He went up, got disoriented (didn't realize it), turned and landed... on the front bun.
I know I am going to hear the argument that "Well, helmets can't hurt". I disagree, because I have never worn a helmet, tried last summer, and was extremely distracted, let alone when I would land, I nearly got whiplash a few times. And that was in one day.

Accidents happen, and I think that requiring helmets is ridiculous. It should be a choice, and nothing more.

Pole vault is an extreme sport, and we do it by choice. That extra element of danger is what makes it so thrilling.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

JTred
PV Whiz

Unread postby JTred » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:24 pm

Instead of spending so much money ontrying to get helmet laws and standards passed, why not spend money making sure that facilities have the correct size pits and a good box collar?

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:00 am

Becca made the comment that once a helmet gets"whacked" it needs to be replaced. That is true in most cases. As a motorcyclist who wears a helmet by choice (no helmet law in Minnesota for motorcycles), if I drop it on the cement floor or drop something on it where it takes a chunk out of it or fractures the plastic in anyway, the helmet is useless. The way a motorcycle helmet works is that in an accident the helmet is distroyed rather than the riders mellon. I'm guessing a good vault helmet would have to do the same thing. Therefore, yes, one "whack" and it's done for. Which would bring up another can of worms, who is going to make sure the helmets are safe and functional. Minnesota is the "land of helmets for kids". I'm surprised they don't make the kids wear helmets for dance line and the swimming team. On the other and, our high school kids are still pole vaulting unlike Iowa that banned the event all together. Later................Mike
P.S. by the way, it is not an extreme sport (read some of my previous posts as to why it is not)

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:00 pm

What sports do you consider extreme? Based on your post, its difficult to determine fact from opinion, but I am going to have to disagree with your opinion.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club

Blacksburg, Virginia

verticaltechnique.com

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:58 pm

Pole vault is an extreme sport, and we do it by choice. That extra element of danger is what makes it so thrilling.

I'm going to have to side with Soulemon...Pole vaulting is NOT an extreme sport, and it is not dangerous IF IT IS DONE CORRECTLY. You can get hurt just as easily in any other track and field event if you are doing things improperly. By claiming that it is an "extreme sport" pole vaulting receives a negative connotation and thus seems dangerous. Remember, the goal is to continue and further the pole vaulting cause, not hinder it or have it eventually taken away because of the "threat" it presents.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:28 pm

As I have said in many posts. We (and you) participate in an event that comparitively few participate in. Yet, when you take a look at the cost of our event, $10,000 for a pit that should be replaced every 4 to 6 years, $400 for a box, $2000 for standards, $300 for a box collar and the poles. $300 each and each vaulter should have 3 or 4. Ok, now put yourself in the position of the athletic director at most high schools across the country. Your job is to take a limited amount of funds and spread it out so the largest amount of athletes can benefit from those limited funds. You look at the figures and realize that you can fund three or four soccer teams and maybe a swim team for what it costs to set up maybe 4 vaulters. All you need is one good excuse to get rid of that expensive event "the pole vault". The high school athletic leagues in both Iowa and Utah bought into the "extreme sport" arguement to get rid of pole vaulting in high schools. So what I'm saying and have said time and time again, go ahead and "think" it's an extreme sport if your need to, but please don't say it out loud (if you know what I mean) otherwise others will start to agree with you and bounce it out of the schools faster than fast. Then, there won't be any need for helmets, will there? Later..............Mike

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”