National Pole Vault Safety Campaign 2005/2006

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
blackbird292
PV Newbie

Unread postby blackbird292 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:02 pm

however, for the small amount of vaulters there are, vaulting is one, if not the most, dangerous high school activity that a student-athlete can participate in.

I think more reasearch needs to be done with that statement, it might look the most dangerous, but might not be the most.
[/quote]

Most dangerous as in the number of deaths per participant ratio. Vaulting does not have that many participants in it and by the most dangerous as with regard to the injuries in vaulting, most are severe. Falling from as high as many vaulters go does create rather severe injuries. Most people view vaulting as too extreme or too dangerous. Well, most are partly right. Vaulting is extreme. Hurling yourself into the air with a piece of fiberglass and turning upside down to push yourself to a new height is extreme. As for dangerous? Of course it is dangerous, that's why there are new size regulations. Vaulting is a sport that there'll always be new changes and rules and regulations to improve safety. I believe I'm being misunderstood with the point of this project. I am not trying to cause a revolution in the event. I am merely trying to raise safety awareness through the opinions and views and knowledge of other vaulters from around the country and world. I am no expert on vaulting; three years of vaulting does not make me an expert. I am relying on the information that I've acquired through personal interviews with coaches, professional athletes, and qualified pole vault officials to make this booklet a potential tool to advocate pole vaulting safety to the junior high/high school vaulting community. I have talked to numerous coaches and I still am talking to many of them. This project is in its infancy still and the course it is taking is constantly changing. I appreciate all of your opinions.
If you're original, you're bound to be copied.

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”