Concerning Helmets

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:08 pm

I would really like to hear what you have to say on the helmet issue Toby. At the summit we only heard from anti helmet people, there wasnt any one who presented the other side.
Thanks
Stephen
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:23 pm

Toby,
I second MightyMouse's request. By the way I enjoyed watching you jump at Reno. I kept an eye out for you around the hotel, hoping to have you autograph my helmet! Maybe sometime in the future.

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:02 am

all i have to say is that toby you are my hero and that i think that helmets are for anyone that wants one. i personaly found that a helmet can come in handy sometimes even if not when vaulting ;)
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

vaultinggoat16
PV Whiz

Unread postby vaultinggoat16 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:09 am

I wore a helmet last year I got headaches from landing with it on :/ im bout to strap it on to try out a new 13'3
-B
What poles are made of fiberglass now....

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:30 am

helmets are not useless

people who make stupid comments without backing them up are useless. yes from a direct fall helmets may only be good up to about 6 or 7 feet. but i have seen far too many people who land on an edge of the pit and slide or bounce of. From an early age my dad/coach was sure to teach me to land in the center every time.. i rarely deviate more than a foot off center. But i have put it to use a couple times. the most recent one .. i tripped on my take off step and got rocked right to my back.. pole shot me back in front of the pit and i landed mostly on my feet at about 12 feet back on the runway, but because all my momentum was carrying me back i was instantly rolled back onto my shoulders and slammed my head into the ground.... glad i had it one

talk to jan johnson.. he has a record kept of all the catastrophic injuries suffered in the last few years. a good majority of them were not direct contants with the ground, but landing on edges and being bouced out. Im not saying they should me mandatory.. i just feel that more injuries would be prevented than would be caused..

however thanx to all the frivelous (spelling??) lawsuits in this country, there is no way that they could ever be mandatory anyone..

plus... if you can do it.. they are really great for doing headspins :P
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:23 am

VTechVaulter wrote:however thanx to all the frivelous (spelling??) lawsuits in this country, there is no way that they could ever be mandatory anyone..

That's not true. The representative from the NFHS told us at the ASTM meeting that is we passed a standard on pole vault helmets they would make them mandatory for every high schooler in the country. The only reason they have not done that yet is that there is no standard for a pole vault helmet.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:35 pm

but honestly you will never see it happen because no one wants to be responsible for setting those standards. well. i shouldn't say never. but it is highly unlikely that anyone will put themselves out on a limb to say this is how it should be.
Brian Mondschein
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:51 pm

I was thinking, If its the short falls your worried about+ the crossbar falling on your head etc Why not wear somthing like this. http://www.worldrugbyshop.com/departments-protective-gear-headgear-adidas-rugby-helmet-pro-black.html
They are very light not bulky and would probably not shove your head nearly as far down into your chest in case of a head landing.
Of course nothing substitues the hard protection of a helmet but this could give you a bit of protection just in case. What do you think?
19 Years Old

Coach: Val Osipenko

"Hard work never goes to waste"

Petrov/Launder student

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:10 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:but honestly you will never see it happen because no one wants to be responsible for setting those standards. well. i shouldn't say never. but it is highly unlikely that anyone will put themselves out on a limb to say this is how it should be.

There's an ASTM subcommittee on developing a standard on a pole vault helmet right now. I got to sit in on the meeting last fall.

There are some people on the committee who are determined to do whatever it takes to make sure a standard is passed, there are some people who are there to make sure it does not happen, and a number of people who are waiting for some good research on neck hyperflexion injuries before they make a decision.

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:23 pm

if they make helmets manditory (spelling???) well thats also be in the USATF track meets and THe AAU meets
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?
Sophmore PR 14'6"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:27 pm

CrossBarHOpper wrote:if they make helmets manditory (spelling???) well thats also be in the USATF track meets and THe AAU meets

That's up to the USATF and the AAU (who would probably do whatever USATF does).

The ASTM does not make any rules, they just set standards for equipment.

The next step is various governing bodies choosing whether or not they want to set rules based on these standards (state associations, NFHS, NCAA, USATF, IAAF are all governing bodies at various levels).

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:39 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
VTechVaulter wrote:but honestly you will never see it happen because no one wants to be responsible for setting those standards. well. i shouldn't say never. but it is highly unlikely that anyone will put themselves out on a limb to say this is how it should be.

There's an ASTM subcommittee on developing a standard on a pole vault helmet right now. I got to sit in on the meeting last fall.

There are some people on the committee who are determined to do whatever it takes to make sure a standard is passed, there are some people who are there to make sure it does not happen, and a number of people who are waiting for some good research on neck hyperflexion injuries before they make a decision.

interesting... well it wouldn't be the first time i was wrong...
Brian Mondschein
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”