Pole Vaulting Helmets

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
AeroVault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.95m

Unread postby AeroVault » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:06 pm

A problem with this helmet occurs when landing on the mats. If you rotate and land on your shoulders instead of your back, the added bulk on the back of the helmet pushes your head forward, causing strain on the neck. It's not a big difference, but something to consider. Yes, a helmet helps if you land on a hard surface, but (hopefully) you're landing on the mats a lot more.

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:15 pm

I'm on the prowl for a new vaulting helmet, can anyone, who has bought this helmet, tell me anything about it?
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

Vaulterchick88
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaulterchick88 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:32 am

My mom tryed to make me wear a helmet when I vaulted in high school. :( Then again she also tryed to ground me my first week in college. :(
"Life is not measured by the number of breath you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away"
- Anonymous

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:48 am

take a look at the KDMax website. all they say is that it makes PVing safer. the only thing is they never say HOW because they have no proof that helmets make PVing any safer.

just an interesting fact. on the KDMax's website, they have a link to helmets.org which clearly explains that the KDMax will do nothing against a collision from any normal pole vaulting height.

and my momma wanted me to wear a helmet vaulting until my sophomore year in college when i showed her Dr. Chang's presentation from Reno.

islandxblue
PV Newbie

Unread postby islandxblue » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:28 pm

I think its great that they came out with a helmet designed especially for Pole Vaulters. Where i am from no one uses helmets anymore it used to be required but now it is very rare that you jump with someone that is wearing a helmet...

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:27 pm

Anybody got a suggestion on which helmets are more comfortable and lighter? Skate, hockey, that new PV Helmet, etc...? Thanks.

kjroct20
PV Newbie

Unread postby kjroct20 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:49 pm

One of the vaulters at my school was vaulting at a meet and was wearing his helmet if he wasnt he would not be a live to day he went up on probly his highest jump that season and came staight down in the box and he got up and walked a way he showed everyone that day how important a helment is to where

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:18 pm

kjroct20 wrote:One of the vaulters at my school was vaulting at a meet and was wearing his helmet if he wasnt he would not be a live to day he went up on probly his highest jump that season and came staight down in the box and he got up and walked a way he showed everyone that day how important a helment is to where

Sounds like he illustrated how important it is to never let go of the pole :confused:

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:31 pm

There have been so many great arguments on this topic, and I'm really on the fence on this one.

I think it's hit or miss. You can read about people in car crashes and some survive because they had their seatbelt on, and some survive because they were thrown from their vehicles by not wearing one.

FlyerChick4
PV Nerd

Unread postby FlyerChick4 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:42 am

My own personal opinion is that if you need to wear a helmet because your scared then you probably shouldn't be vaulting cuz there is NO reason anyone should be landing on the ground on a regular basis. I understand that no one means to land on the ground but I feel a helmet will cause more damage because of the reasons everyone has given about neck injuries ect. Plus I just believe you should be confident enough with your vaulting to know you are gonna land in the pit so you should feel you need a helmet. I know that if for some reason I feel I need a helmet I should put the pole up and go home cuz I am not vaulting safely. I agree that if anything we should be pushing for soft boxes maybe...or even soft bars for those of you who are worried about injuries from the bar.
This year your gonna have to work twice as hard.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:04 pm

blah blah blah.. shear forces... blah blah.. bigger pits.. blah blah, only help from 6 feet. blah blah blah

all im hearing is bad info from people with little to no common sense.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:21 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:all im hearing is bad info from people with little to no common sense.

There are two doctors with extensive experience as vaulters and coaches who have given what I consider to be a very informed opinion on this topic.

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”