Pole Vaulting Helmets

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:00 pm

bigger pits is not a good solution. look at jumps from the late 70s, people jumping into postage stamps. but landing in the middle!! imagine that.

gymnastics doesn't have a high case of head injury?!? my coaches daughter is a level 10 gymnast, i can promise you she will not agree with that statement

yes helmets increase risk of spinal injury. but lets look at the facts right now in pole vaulting. from my conversations within the last few years with jan johnson and talen singer (head of the PVSCB), there have been no documented cases of a vaulter landing in the pit and suffering a serious spinaly inury. thats not to say it cant happen (dean starkeys crash on neovault), but when compared to the number of deaths from striking hard objects, it seems like this risk/benefit analysis provides a clear view. Also, while a helmet doesn't help from a direct 16 foot fall onto the head, the majority of pv related deaths were not direct colisions, but boucning out of the pit and striking something.

im not trying to personally insult them, however everyone takes a black and white view on this issue. the entire thing is grey area.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:41 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:there have been no documented cases of a vaulter landing in the pit and suffering a serious spinaly inury.

Dr. Chang had video of two near career ending spinal injuries from people landing in the middle of the pit. He had video of this specific incident at Reno that is described below:

"In another study, a collegiate female landed high up on her shoulders and neck/head, causing a hyperflexion injury of the neck resulting in transient paresthesias to all of her limbs for 30 minutes. This situation may have been exacerbated by the added flexion caused by a helmet. (Chang)"

http://www.polevaulteducation.org/Headgear_Article.html

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:46 pm

okay so a whopping 2, neither of which ended a life or career, and how many DEATHS have been caused by direct head trama

im not saying helmets are the answer, but im also not saying that they aren't valuable
Brian Mondschein
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:14 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:okay so a whopping 2, neither of which ended a life or career, and how many DEATHS have been caused by direct head trama

im not saying helmets are the answer, but im also not saying that they aren't valuable

Annika Becker has yet to pick up a pole again, as far as I know.

She was not wearing a helmet, but neck hyperflexion injuries DO occur and a helmet would have only made it worse for her.

I am not anti-helmet by any means, but I am anti-mandatory helmets.

FlyerChick4
PV Nerd

Unread postby FlyerChick4 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:17 pm

I agree. I mean if you want to wear a helmet that's fine. But don't make me wear one.
This year your gonna have to work twice as hard.

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:40 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:how many DEATHS have been caused by direct head trama

does anyone have any number on this? im sort of curious. the only incident that i am aware of is the one w/ Kevin Dare. on www.polevaulthelmet.com they say there have been more than 20 fatalities in the past 20 years. does anyone have any concrete numbers? more than 20 could mean 21 or 2,200.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:55 pm

SKOT wrote:
VTechVaulter wrote:how many DEATHS have been caused by direct head trama

does anyone have any number on this? im sort of curious. the only incident that i am aware of is the one w/ Kevin Dare. on www.polevaulthelmet.com they say there have been more than 20 fatalities in the past 20 years. does anyone have any concrete numbers? more than 20 could mean 21 or 2,200.

Email Jan Johnson, he has all the hard data. www.skyjumpers.com

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:02 pm

oh i agree that they shouldn't be mandatory

BUT. anyone who says that they would make the sport more dangerous is purely ignorant and should be beaten with their own foot
Brian Mondschein
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:43 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:BUT. anyone who says that they would make the sport more dangerous is purely ignorant and should be beaten with their own foot

They should pranked to death... with a tire iron! ;)
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:48 pm

its time to leave this conversation because of fear of being 'tire ironed' or 'footed' to death....

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:44 pm

SKOT wrote:its time to leave this conversation because of fear of being 'tire ironed' or 'footed' to death....

Come on Skot, you've never seen the best of Christopher Walken on SNL?
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:52 am

I havent read most of this post, but from what i understand... Helmets are to make your head... well, have a shell, and be harder to break. A pit wont crack your head open, maybe the cross bars and the cement will. So in majority of the sport, i think the helmet is for those who have a lack of balls (maybe another way to say that would be better ;) ) But, I think it is more of a confidence stimulator than anything else
Just you wait...

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”