Pole Vaulting Helmets

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:27 am

Mecham wrote:But, I think it is more of a confidence stimulator than anything else

i personally feel that false a false sense of confidence leads to less spacial awareness while in the air. if you think you will be safe no matter what, your body wont learn to sense that it isnt going straight or deep enough into the pit. it only takes on bad jump and one bad decission to finish a bad jump to have serious problems...

i will say that i still keep my helmet in my bag, but i have not worn it in over a year for pole vaulting (i have used it for water ski jumping :D ). it is in there for days when conditions are "ideal" for jumping

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:13 pm

okay mecham.. before you say those who use helmets lack balls, what give you the credibility to say that. ever jumped on a 5.10 200, id say that takes some balls, helmet or not.

as far as spacial awareness or confidence builder, if you ask those who wear it, and have been for 9 or 10 years now, they will tell you its not about building confidence, but its "in case sh@t happens" as it often does.

anyone who has ever seen me jump, and feel free to ask slick vt, decamouse, pvjunkie, ms. pole vault power herself, etc etc, i land in the middle of the coaches box 99.5 percent of the time, no drift, not shallow, not scary at all. I would say that puts me at a pretty low risk of head trauma, however, in case sh@it happens, i would rather have it on that not. ive broken poles and had pieces come up and hit me in the back of the head, like i said earlier i had an incident when i was younger where my feet slid out from under me on an aborted jump and smashed my head into the runway. none of us go around saying, hey ive got a helmet on, im gonna jack my grip a foot and go up 10 pounds of pole, since im invincible now.

get a grip
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:20 pm

p.s.

i prolly shouldn't wear my seatbelt, since there is a chance that in a car accident, the seatbelt could cause harm, or trap me in the vehicle. Seatbelts clearly make a car accident more dangerous
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”