Is 20in. too close for standards?

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
VaulterChick122
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Is 20in. too close for standards?

Unread postby VaulterChick122 » Sat May 05, 2012 9:20 pm

I know you should be clearing heights with standards farther than 20. Mine are usually between 20-26 depending on how i am jumping. Is this too close? I mean my grip feels fine, and i jump up at takeoff. I use an 11'6 130 at meets and when i use the 11'6 120 at practice, i blow through it ( i land very deep into the pit and bend the pole a lot), so the 130 is my next choice. Even though my standards are close, i still land deep in the pit. Is this OK? I usually grip about 10'6 and recently cleared 9ft but i have no touched a 10 bungee at practice. Are my standards close because i am unable to get fully inverted at the level i am at, because my grip feels good, and i do not get "hammered" at take-off. I was just wondering if it is a bad thing to have close standards.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Is 20in. too close for standards?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat May 05, 2012 9:48 pm

It's not that 20" is inherently unsafe, it's just that the closer they are, the less room you have for error. If your standards are at 31.5" and you come up a little short, you're still getting in the pit. If your standards are at 15.5" and you come up a little short, you don't have much pit between you and the box. If you're being properly supervised by a competent coach, I would listen to them.

VaulterChick122
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'

Re: Is 20in. too close for standards?

Unread postby VaulterChick122 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:42 am

Thank you!

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”