Will i break the pole

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
Rosie<3
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Will i break the pole

Unread postby Rosie<3 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:46 pm

So, i use a 120lb pole and grip at about 9'6. I weigh about 135lbs and my pole is only 11 feet and 6 inches. I am only 5ft 5inches and am trying to loose weight, this is the heaviest pole at this height. Should i move to a 12 ft pole? I can't bend a 130 pole, but i am worried my pole will snap. I think i am moving up to a 12 ft pole soon because my grip is going up, but i would probably still use a 120lb. Also in high school meets do they weigh you to make sure you are using the correct pole? My school doesn't have many poles, so i don't have much of a selection to vault with.
Last edited by Rosie<3 on Mon May 21, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Re: Will i break the pole

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Depending on which state you are in, it will be illegal for you to compete on that pole. As far as breaking goes, you could vault on it 100 times and it won't snap, but the 101st could be the time it goes. Since you are gripping down so low you are probably not overbending the pole so breaking it would be less likely
Man Up and Jump

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Will i break the pole

Unread postby dj » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:30 pm

hello

i would suggest you vault on a pole of your weight or higher... which means you will have to "stiff pole" vault (on a none bending pole) ...

this is the best way to learn to vault... if you can't vault on a pole of your weight you will learn the wrong way to vault.. which means you will not progress based on your talent level and you will be a little more un-safe..

dj

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”