We need more pit spotters in meets!

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

We need more pit spotters in meets!

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Mon May 17, 2010 6:58 pm

Throughout my professional career as logistics manager to the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, a manufacturer of vaulting poles and track equipment, and as a Track meet enthusiast for over 30 years, I witnessed a few Miracles at the 2010 Texas UIL State Track Meet this past weekend!
1. The meet was run fluently with plenty of information to the, coaches, athletes and as well as the fans!
2. And In the pole vault event I witnessed Scotty Miller UIL pit spotter save several vaulters lives and/or at least kept them from being hurt.

With so many athletes jockeying for the right pole, the correct steps and inclement weather changes many were at a loss as to where they were and many did fail and almost fall into the box. Scotty Miller with his knowledge of the event and experience was able to push their poles into the pit to safety with vaulters hanging on, not only once but on several occasions.
This is the kind of Officials we need in the pole vault landing areas with vaulting knowledge and know how!
Bravo to an entertaining meet
Bruce Caldwell
CEO /Owner of ESSX PV
http://www.xlogicsports.com

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Re: We need more pit spotters in meets!

Unread postby master » Mon May 17, 2010 10:47 pm

As part of the official's instructions to the vaulters, did he say "Whatever you do, don't let go of the pole."? I wouldn't want to be pushing on a pole with a vaulter wearing spikes above me (or even my arm). :eek:
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Tue May 18, 2010 11:05 pm

No, that's never been the instruction to the athletes that compete there. The instructions to the officials has always been keep 'em off the ground. Scotty Miller, with his still great athletic ability and cat like reflexes surely did save a couple of vaulters from injury. There were two moves only Scotty could have pulled off, they were really impressive. But any one working the pit should know a scratch from a quarter inch spike is worth keeping a kid from riding an ambulance. I have to say, Scotty Miller has not lost much of his step from his jumping days though, that guy is quick! Thanks to Coach Miller for making it an accident free meet.
compete and jump safe, have fun

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed May 19, 2010 12:44 am

belmore wrote: ... Scotty Miller, with his still great athletic ability and cat like reflexes surely did save a couple of vaulters from injury. There were two moves only Scotty could have pulled off, they were really impressive. But any one working the pit should know a scratch from a quarter inch spike is worth keeping a kid from riding an ambulance. I have to say, Scotty Miller has not lost much of his step from his jumping days though, that guy is quick! Thanks to Coach Miller for making it an accident free meet.

I do not mean to take any credit away from a quick-thinking official. But be that as it may ... something is VERY, VERY wrong when an official has to interject himself between the vaulter and the ground and take DARING action to "keep a kid from riding an ambulance".

Not ONCE, but TWICE! Two different kids! What were they doing wrong, and what if Scotty wasn't there to SAVE them? :confused:

I say look at the root cause ... and FIX IT!

DON'T rely on a super-hero to save the day! Scotty can't be at every meet! And he really is putting himself in harm's way.

This is NOT a sustainable solution.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Getvertical_PV
PV Wannabe
Expertise: College Coach, High School Coach, Club Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 17'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Wamerdam

Unread postby Getvertical_PV » Wed May 19, 2010 10:51 am

belmore wrote:...But any one working the pit should know a scratch from a quarter inch spike is worth keeping a kid from riding an ambulance....

The issue isn't the 1/4" spike, it the 130-200 lb athlete attached to the spikes. The official should not risk him/herself for the sake of the athlete as both would likely be injured.

Very few people are athletic enough to be in this position. More spotters is not the answer, taking less risk as a coach to ensure the vaulter is jumping safely is. This requires education on the risk.

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Wed May 19, 2010 4:47 pm

Have any of you ever been to Texas???????
Facts, Not Fiction

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Wed May 19, 2010 10:54 pm

Granted, the issue is always safe technique, unfortunately for us in Texas, we're still human and errors occur. Even the best coaching will not prevent a glitch during a competition, other wise Texas would have beat Alabama back in January. I would like to apologize here for having to catch or keep a vaulter in the pit. We would all like our vaulters to be perfect, but bless their hearts, they're not. So as a precaution in these bigger competitions there are alot of officials working around that pit. It is not that hard to redirect a body in the air toward foam. Certainly not what you want to do but it can be accomplished with out much effort, less effort than what it took me to type this. Scotty Miller still rules, he helped a vaulter out who made a pilot error and Scotty helped him to a soft landing. And he didn't get a scratch.

mustang30
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.60
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Unread postby mustang30 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:19 pm

Happy to help. I agree that more pit spotters is not the answer, but experienced vaulters can tell when a vaulter is in trouble right off the ground. Wind conditions were somewhat eratic and only very experienced vaulters would have known how to handle them. What we had were several kids that had been over taught the "take the jump up theory" and hadn't passed the "establish pole speed first test."

There are other old vaulters just like myself that could get more involved in the officiating aspect of our sport, and step in when a kid gets "outa whack." As a vaulter I never really looked around and appreciated the officials, but those guys "pay to play." They use their own money to show up and validate our efforts, and more of us need to give back now that our competitive vaulting days are behind us. There were about 16 officials assigned to that pit and all of them are just as deserving of recognition for providing a safe competition enviornment, but thanks for thinking I still have some athetic moves left, Elmore.

Scotty

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Thu May 20, 2010 11:09 pm

I always forget Coach Miller got old. Spotters are not the answer, I agree. Not running away from a falling body isn't either. Scotty's right about more old experienced vaulters getting involved in the officiating end. I regret using the "old" tag now. How about experienced. The post above that said something about not putting yourself as an official in harms way because of a 130 pound athelete with quarter inch spikes coming at you, I assume you were not a vaulter or would rather see an athlete bounce off the tarmac. I would hope an ex vaulter would step in and help out. Don't put yourself in peril, but realize even old dudes like me can keep a bad launch from ending up a bad landing.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:03 am

I sure as heck would not try to catch a falling vaulter. And most well-meaning coaches who think they would, would not actually be able to when the time came. Your body's instincts say to RUN when an object is falling toward you at a rapid rate of speed.

I watched my friend Jessie front bun it at the Clovis Street Vault... except thanks to the raised runway she just missed the front bun and landed feet first on Polasky Ave. An official (not Fred Arnold, someone younger) was right there... and he took a step back. I am sure if you had asked him ahead of time if he would try to catch a falling vaulter, he would have said yes.

In my experience, coaches who use "spotters" in this way end up taking more risks with pole and grip selection.

The more we "save" kids with bad technique, the more it is reinforced to them and their coaches that it is OK to take risks. We made the pits so darn big that they barely fit in the infield anymore, and people just take even MORE risks.

Pit spotters do nothing to "fix" the problem, they are just a band-aid that ultimately may be doing more to encourage bad behavior than discourage it.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri May 21, 2010 2:14 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote: Pit spotters do nothing to "fix" the problem, they are just a band-aid that ultimately may be doing more to encourage bad behavior than discourage it.

If coaches had the courage to tap, vaulters would make the pit every time ... negating the need for pit spotters. ;)

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Fri May 21, 2010 10:33 am

TAPS? In a meet? no way a tap has the ability to break a pole! Taps add about 20-25 lbs to the vault and load the pole.
Most athletes bring it when they come all the training and all the coaching is embedded.
Many variables may cause a vaulter to create pilot error. Having a spotter is just as important as having a pole catcher.
The pole should never hit the ground and neither should the vaulter.
If you are not experienced in the vault you have no reason to be a spotter, in fact you have no reason to be near the Pole vault pit period!
The more experienced people you have preferably retired pole vaulters the less people you will need on a pit.
Yes there may have been far to many officials but safety comes first in an event like this.
(SIDE NOTE for more controversy grin: I did see 6 officials putting up the crossbars as well as setting the standards in the eventa and if they had ESSX Crossbars it would only take ONE OFFICIAL to Manage it all!
To be discussed in the sales forum Smile)

http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19927&p=142356#p142356
Crossbars get thrown like spears on rebound, poles break and fly in many directions, athletes plant sideways and get thrown off course.
DO DO Occurs people!
Even in the 1996 Olympics a vaulter landed on top of the standards located 15' out from the box. Bubka's Brother once landed 18' 550 beyond back of the pit once in a meet in France. Spotters are not the complete answer and yes proper coaching is only a part of the solution!
The bottom line is no one needs to apologize for TEXAS Vaulters.
The original Post was a positive one, giving recognition to someone who went beyond the call of duty to help!
A spotter pushed the pole and the vaulter into and over the pit when the vaulter was distressed, we are not talking about taking one for the team and let the vaulter land on you!!
Once again Bravo Scotty Miller!

Hey members Stop PO PU ing on the parade! LOL GRIN smile :D :heart: O:-) ;)
Bruce Caldwell

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”