You have got to see this!!!

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
redmarmo161
PV Newbie

You have got to see this!!!

Unread postby redmarmo161 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:38 pm

Dont worry he is ok and will be just fine, but you have got to see this video.

http://www.visualizeone.com/blog/85.html
Last edited by redmarmo161 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

Re: You have got to see this!!! Best Video Ever!!

Unread postby kev44000 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:53 pm

Not good , but the bar bounced and stayed up. I saw this happen at a high school meet once.
Last edited by kev44000 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:24 am

This isn't as funny as you think it is. It could have ended much worse. A friend of mine (Jack Ernst) had a near miss like this too - it just ripped his shorts off on one side, which was more embarassing than dangerous.

A safety product idea I have is to tape a piece of foam - shaped like a "pool noodle" (but narrower) to the end of the pole. Depending on the height you're attempting, the noodle should made short enough to pass under the bar without knocking it off. Then, instead of hitting the HARD top of the pole with private parts that can be painful, you'll hit the soft noodle, and the pole will deflect safely away from your body as you put more weight on it. I can't imagine that the extra length that this adds to the pole would affect the vault in any negative way. It should only make it safer - against accidents like this. What do you think?

Anyone that wants to make these is free to go ahead and build some. You could use the black foam that's used to cover pipes - which you can find in any hardware or home improvement store. Maybe Frawley's interested! ;)

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

nickfrawley
PV Newbie

Unread postby nickfrawley » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:29 am

Hey guys, I'm doing just fine. I got a couple stitches and a really really sore crotch, but I'm jumping at Texas this weekend. Thanks for your concern...and now that you know I'm ok, feel free to laugh...as hard as you'd like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eexod_8EerA

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Re: You have got to see this!!!

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:42 am

along the lines that kirk was saying.... put a pole tip on the top of each pole. the factory caps dont get the job done. but a rounded plug not only protects from the sharp edge of the pole top, but can help deflect the pole in some cases.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz
Expertise: current college vaulter, former USATF and high school coach
Favorite Vaulter: David spivey, scott roth

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:33 pm

haha ... sometimes ... i just think that we need to enjoy things for what they are guys lol. u cant go safety proofing everything in the pole vault. the sports dangerous. and honestly stuff like this is a reality. we wouldnt be crazy pole vaulters if it wasnt dangerous. and no.... this is definitely hilarious! great jump to.
i know theres a bunch of crazy stuff that goes on that id like to catch on film sometimes.
loving life, making progress, exceeding expectations

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:47 pm

LHSVaulterJJR wrote: ... u cant go safety proofing everything in the pole vault. the sports dangerous. and honestly stuff like this is a reality. we wouldn't be crazy pole vaulters if it wasn't dangerous. ...

It's not that I don't have a sense of humor. It's just that we should make our sport as safe as we possibly can. Why risk injury when it's easily preventable? :confused:

On the other hand, you're throwing caution to the wind. Strongly disagree. :no:

I'm not speaking specifically of this safety hazard. I'm speaking in general ... like keeping poles and bars 5 feet away from the sides of the pit ... like keeping hurdles away from the back of the pit ... you name it.

Here's an idea ... when you're up next on the runway, why not put a bed of nails ... or shards of glass ... on each side of the pit ... sharp side up of course ... just to add a little more craziness to your jumps! You can't safety-proof everything, so why even try? :dazed:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:21 pm

I haven't been able to get the video to load, but based on the conversation, I can tell what was in the video.

There are quite a few vaulters to have torn their scrotum from the pole hitting it. I can't personally relate, but Lukas says that doesn't sound like fun.

This is a good reminder that any vaulter who is getting close to vaulting over the top of their pole should start putting plugs on top of their poles as well as the bottom. Like Brian said, pole tips (butt plugs) work the best. Like only being kicked in the balls instead of knifed I guess. :confused:

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”