1998 Accident - Heuscher of Kalispell, MT

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

1998 Accident - Heuscher of Kalispell, MT

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:15 am

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource. ... ug=2749087

Kalispell Pole Vaulter Dies
AP
KALISPELL, Mont. - A 16-year-old Kalispell boy died yesterday of brain injuries after a pole vaulting accident.

Joel Heuscher, a freshman at Kalispell Junior High, was taken to Kalispell Regional Medical Center Monday afternoon after what appeared to be a normal vault, said Gene Boyle, athletic director at Flathead High School.

Paul Jorgensen, Heuscher's pole vault coach, said Heuscher was vaulting with a new pole when he landed at the far end of the foam pit and rolled off. Coaches went to his aid when he did not get up.

Heuscher's parents, Sandy and Larry Heuscher, asked that he be removed from life support at noon yesterday.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: 1998 Accident - Heuscher of Kalispell, MT

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:17 am

http://www.digisys.net/fhspub/97-98/may15/index.html

FHS students say ‘good bye’ to Joel Heuscher

By Krista Benson

As high school students mourned Heuscher’s death, many banners of support appeared last week.

The young man with an unwavering smile for everyone inspired friends and family to spread that love to others, said some of the nearly 2,000 people who attended his May 8 memorial service at FHS.

Freshman Joel Heuscher lived an accomplished and compassionate life and died on May 5 after being injured in a pole vaulting accident during track practice.

“Many people live 80 years and never have the impact of Joel’s successful 16 years,” said Heuscher’s former baseball coach, John Willcut, at the memorial service. “I saw a sign once that said, ‘You only have one life. Make the most of it.’ Joel did.”

The popular freshman excelled in football, basketball, baseball and track. He was considered one of the most well-liked people in his class and always had a smile and a good word for anyone he passed.

“Joel was a friend to all kinds of people,” said pastor Dan Heskett, of Northridge Lutheran Church, at the service. “He bridged the gap between the cliques.”

Heuscher’s love was sports — any and all sports. He loved to play, and was a talented athlete.

“Joel was a gifted athlete,” said Willcut. “He played baseball, football, he was a golfer and he had recently discovered track. If you asked Joel what he was, he’d say he was a basketball player.”

Yet even in the field of athletics, what will be remembered about Heuscher is not talent or achievements, but his big heart and his generous smile.

“For three years, I tried to make a pitcher out of Joel . For three years, I failed,” said former baseball coach Jim Mathiason. “He had one of the strongest arms on the team. I asked myself many times how I failed, but now I’m not sure that I did. As a pitcher, you have the mentality to exploit the weaknesses of the batter.

“That wasn’t Joel’s style. He wanted things to be even.”

“I never saw a better smile than Joel’s. It seemed like it was always there,” said Willcut. “I used to call him and one of his teammates ‘the little ladies.’ He would even smile at that.”

Heuscher was a good friend, a good brother, a good son and a talented athlete. He will be greatly missed by family and friends — more for the love he gave than for the games he won.

“I want to thank the Heuschers for sharing Joel with us,” said Willcut. “Joel, you will always be remembered and deeply missed.”

“I’ve seen so much love come from that boy, more than you’d see from a man twice his age,” said Mathiason. “It was like his skin was transparent and you could see right into his heart.

“We will all miss him.”

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”