Box Safety

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
Starmancer
PV Newbie

Box Safety

Unread postby Starmancer » Sun May 17, 2009 4:53 pm

So this idea came to me that how come there are no pads in the box. You might say, "How do you expect to plant the pole?" Well this pad would not be in place as you plant the pole inside of the box but rather resting on the side skirt next to the box. Then as you planted it would be flipped over to completely cover the box giving even more protection from the dreaded stall out. It could easily be flipped over someone after the vaulter has left the ground. Tell me what you think of this idea.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

yankee814
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Hooker

Re: Box Safety

Unread postby yankee814 » Sun May 17, 2009 5:45 pm

I like the idea except the part about someone moving the pad after the vaulter is in the air...that just smells like trouble.

How about just having padding on the inside sides of the box leaving only about 1/3 of the box (which is the most used part) unpadded. The might eliminate a lot of the injuries that result from landing half-way into the box
Sophomore 2nd year Vaulter

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun May 17, 2009 6:30 pm

It's always a cost/benefit issue. At most outdoor facilities, the box is embedded into the ground. Most solutions would be very expensive to implement, or provide minimal extra coverage.

I am all for continuing to move forward with new safety equipment, but the solution to the problem is to improve coaching education and teaching kids to hang on to the pole whenever things go wrong. It's awfully hard to land in the box while holding the pole!

Starmancer
PV Newbie

Unread postby Starmancer » Sun May 17, 2009 7:50 pm

I see what you mean, instead of treating the problem, cure it. :D
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Mon May 18, 2009 1:00 pm

Jan Johnson is working on a pad that will sit in the box. Becca, maybe you can get him to talk to you about it. Hopefully, it won't be too expensive.

chasing6
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former Collegiate Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, Coach (all-levels), Die-Hard Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.23m

Unread postby chasing6 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:01 pm

Gill currently has a product similar to this http://www.gillathletics.com/GillItemView.aspx?FSID=506 although it's not very cost effective for most schools ($1600). The idea is sound though, and it's a step in the right direction for sure. I do agree with Becca that the best safety device is a good education for both coaches and vaulters.
Whether you believe you can or cannot, you're right.

http://www.fiveringsproject.org

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Unread postby drcurran » Mon May 18, 2009 5:58 pm

I've worked where the Skykex box (s) have been installed. They don't seem to bother the vaulters (some don't even realize the box is "soft" until they are told). But don't misunderstand. The Skydex is a "softbox" but that is to say it is softer than steel. But all in all you would rather land on this box than the old style box. Then again the pit would be the best place to land. OK my .02

Dan
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
TK

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Tue May 19, 2009 2:18 am

This patent includes options that are similar to what you described.
- master

United States Patent 7,244,216
Rastegar July 17, 2007
Method and system for preventing pole vault fall injuries

Abstract

A method for preventing serious injuries to a person participating in a physical activity, such as pole-vaulting, which occurs at least partially over a hard surface. The method includes: detecting predetermined criteria indicative of a condition which requires deployment of the material into the deployed position; and moving a material from a retracted position to a deployed position upon detection of the predetermined criteria, wherein the material substantially does not impede the physical activity while in the retracted position and cushions the person from falling onto the hard surface while in the deployed position.

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”