TX Student airlifted to hospital after pole-vault accident

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

TX Student airlifted to hospital after pole-vault accident

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:26 am

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/St ... xFnOg.cspx

Student airlifted to hospital after pole-vault accident

Last Update: 10:24 am

SAN ANTONIO -- A Judson Independent School District student is in the hospital after a pole-vaulting accident at school Monday.

The accident happened at Woodlake Hills Middle School on the Northeast Side.

The boy was taken to University Hospital by AirLife.

A spokesman for the school district said the boy hit his head on the bar he was trying to jump over.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Re: TX Student airlifted to hospital after pole-vault accident

Unread postby master » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:50 pm

This seems strange. I wouldn't think a crossbar would cause that serious of injury. When I went to the link to the actual story there was a link to video of TV news coverage. They also used the words "A spokesman for the school district said the boy hit his head on the bar he was trying to jump over." However during the time the newscaster was saying that, there was an image of the top of the PV standards that support the crossbar. A vaulter hitting their head on the standards could certainly sustain a more serious injury than hitting a crossbar.

- master

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:29 pm

Maybe he landed on the bar after he knocked it off, as it was lying on the pit?
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:57 pm

KirkB wrote:Maybe he landed on the bar after he knocked it off, as it was lying on the pit?

That is a possibility, and one I hadn't thought of.

- master

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:21 pm

yeah people are getting freak head injuries from anything now of days. A girl on my team has been out for two months because of a concussion she had from hitting her head hard on the mat.... yes the soft thing.

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:52 am

I had a teammate in high school rattle a bar and it fell and hit him in the head as he was on the pit.

He was fine for a few minutes and then started acting odd. Few minutes later he threw up 3 times on the way to the hospital with a concussion.

I guess it hit him just right... really odd though.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:09 am

This is from the comments on the news article, so the reliability is questionable, but there hasn't been anything else in the news about the accident, and there probably would have been a story if things looked bad.

KNOSIVAD - 4/16/2009
0 Votes
Report User
We are greateful to God that our son is on his way to a full recovery. We praise God that he did not sustain any broken bones or internal injuries. All tests were negative. We thank the community of praying believers at our local church as well believers in the city and abroad. We appreciate all the love and support from our immediate family and friends. We thank the emergency crews who were on duty and the hospital staff who rendered service to our son. We yet trust God to finish the healing process which has already begun in our son's life. To God Be The Glory for the things he has done. Sincerely, The parents of this student whose life is full of purpose and destiny.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:30 pm

There is a video here:
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/St ... xFnOg.cspx

And this appears to be an update from one of his parents posted in the comments on that site:

KNOSIVAD - 4/16/2009 8:21 PM
0 Votes
Report User
We are greateful to God that our son is on his way to a full recovery. We praise God that he did not sustain any broken bones or internal injuries. All tests were negative. We thank the community of praying believers at our local church as well believers in the city and abroad. We appreciate all the love and support from our immediate family and friends. We thank the emergency crews who were on duty and the hospital staff who rendered service to our son. We yet trust God to finish the healing process which has already begun in our son's life. To God Be The Glory for the things he has done. Sincerely, The parents of this student whose life is full of purpose and destiny.

I will say one thing... if it really was just a case of him hitting his head on the crossbar, then yes, a helmet would have helped!

But I still feel like there has to be more to the story than just a head whacking a crossbar... even a bad concussion like SlickVT described wouldn't seem to warrant an airlift. Those are incredibly expensive.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:05 pm

For the sake of preventing a recurrence, it would be nice for us on PVP ... the people that want to protect the safety and integrity of our sport ... to know EXACTLY how this accident happened.

Please also read the comments that I posted on this related thread today: http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18579&p=132855#p132855

Someone on PVP MUST know the details of this accident. It would be helpful to our sport if you shared your knowledge of it. Thanks in advance.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”