Helmets

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:04 pm

molly, no offense, but if thats the start of your run, you need to work on it.....lol, just trying to help you...really though, no offense
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

lonestar
PV Lover

helmets

Unread postby lonestar » Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:29 am

As a pv coach for over 50 vaulters, I've taken the time to hear all the arguments, pro and con about helmets. While I used to be firmly "anti-helmet," my coaching partner changed my mind.

His reasoning is that we both coach kids to land in the middle of the pit, and it is a rare, rare occasion that our kids ever come near the box, back of the pit, or sides. We do however, go to meets and see kids landing just about everywhere BUT down the middle. I saw a kid last season break a pole and land with his head right in the box, and was DAMN LUCKY to only have gotten a concussion.

My partner Brian saw a kid gripping too high come right down in the box, smacking his head sideways, and had to hold that kids fractured skull while he waited for the ambulance to arrive as the kid convulsed and later went into a coma. He lived, but had permanent brain damage.

I had 3 GIRLS, yes, GIRLS - in high school break 3 poles this past summer that did not have any visible preexisting damage. I talked extensively to Jan Johnson about it, and in each case each girl's technique had nothing to do with the pole breaking, and the causes remain undetermined. None of them were injured, but one of the girl's heads came within inches of the box.

OUR STANCE IN THE LONE STAR PV CLUB is this: we ADVOCATE helmets, but DO NOT REQUIRE them. We are hoping that if our athletes are wearing them, that other, more unsafe or uncoached athletes might wear them, and we may inadvertently save a life. Because of the lack of long-term research and differing opinions of parents, we won't require them as of now, but freak things can happen, do happen, and will happen, and we feel more secure having a helmet on our kids heads.

By the way, I've been vaulting for over 15 years and put a helmet on my head for the first time last weekend. It was not uncomfortable or distracting and it actually helped reduce the noise created by the headwind I was jumping into. I plan to wear one as often as possible from now on.

Kris

mooski33
PV Nerd

Unread postby mooski33 » Fri Oct 18, 2002 2:49 am

I felt I may not have stressed this enough in my previous post:
I am not opposed to helmets nor am I entirely for helmets. I think they should never be made mandatory, but I do believe that freak accidents, as the previous poster said, do happen. If there is no negative effects to me wearing a helmet, is there really a reason not to wear it? some kids may feel a false sense of security, but I think most vaulters know that regardless of what we are wearing, vaulting is a dangerous sport, therefore be would never be led into a false sense of security. Also, the helmet is so light, that I often do forget I even have it on, and it doesn't effect my vision at all. I have a Protec skateboarding helmet that I picked up at the local bike shop. I think if you are against helmets that you should try vaulting a few times with one, just to see how it feels, especially those who feel there are negative effects to wearing helmets...then see where you stand. You may feel the same, but you may be surprised to find that your beliefs have altered.

Vaultbig
PV Newbie

helmets

Unread postby Vaultbig » Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:09 pm

I believe that it should be up to the athlete if they want to wear a helmet. However, I wear a helmet for the same reason that many people do not wear one. I have been vaulting for 12 years now and I consider myself a very experienced and safe vaulter. I am confident in my ability because of the time and effort that I have put into this sport. When I jumped in high school I didn't know of anybody wearing a helmet, so I didn't feel any reason to wear one. Not to sound arrogant, but I know there are younger vaulters looking up to me. I feel that if they can look at me wearing a helmet then they can realize that there is no reason for them not to wear one. This is why I wear a helmet.

As I said, I think it should be up to the athlete and NOT mandatory, but I will continue to wear mine and encourage others to do the same.

ttuvaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby ttuvaulter » Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:45 am

I have kept these thoughts to close company in many conversations and now I have the ablility to get them out to the vault community. I am a helmet wearer. My freshmen year in high school I broke my arm because I was vaulting on a pole that was larger than I should have been on. My coach was a great coach and I attribut alot of my success to his skills. I was the first vaulter of his that had ever been seriously injured. He was not just some footbal coach that was taught to do pole vault. He was on the us olympic staff in the 92 and 96 olympics. He was also going to be the head coach for some asian nation for the 2000 olympics. After my injury he demanded that I wear a helmet. I have worn one ever since. You can ask anybody thats knows me and they will tell you that I am not a dangerous vaulter. I would say that 96% of the time I land in the middle of the pit. It is rare for me to be regected, go off to the side, or shoot off the back. The fact is that accidents can happen. How often do baseball players get hit in the head with a baseball while up to the plate. It is rare, I do understand that a baseball to the head is not as life threatening as vaulting. Skateboards, and Inline skaters are actually a little bit higher in the air than we are when they are on the half pipe. If helmets help them they should be able to help us. I agree with many of you that helmets will not solve the problems of danger in pole vault. I have seen some coaches that should never be allowed to even go near vault pits coaching athletes. I do honestly believe that unqualified or inexperienced coaching is the biggest problem that plaques our great sport today. I also honestly believe that wearing helmets is a step in the right direction for the time being. When somebody can show me a article or paper written by a qualified physician I will evaluate it and place my own judgement. That is not a dare I would actually like an article if anybody can find me one, because I want to know all the facts. I do understand how at the collegiate level and the pro level, the vaulter has reached a level where it should be a decision. Also these coaches know what they are talking about. But here in Texas there are so many high schools of so many different levels that there is no possible way that the vault community could fill the coaching positions required here. I think that high schools wearing helmets would prevent injuries whale we try to consolidate a coaching net work that would be able to provide experienced knowledge to inadequate coaches. Once again I know that helmets will not solve the problems, but I do think it is a step in the right direction.

sorry this is so long

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:57 am

ttuvaulter wrote:When somebody can show me a article or paper written by a qualified physician I will evaluate it and place my own judgement. That is not a dare I would actually like an article if anybody can find me one, because I want to know all the facts.

Try this http://www.polevaulteducation.org/Headgear_Article.html

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Tue Oct 29, 2002 9:49 am

If it doesn't hurt you but might help you - would you or should you do it. Ever have a cross bar wack you in the head - I have hit a Hj std with my head (don't laugh to hard) and I was primarily a HJ guy until I took up this crazy stuff in my mid 30's - A helmet will not help you if you do everything right and nothing unusual happens (pole breaks - big gust of wind) - but it won't hurt either - If it helps when the weird happens then I guess it may be worth a shot - plus my better half ask me to wear one if I insist on playing with the kids
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:26 pm

Jodie vaults the same with or without the helmet... but like you say...we had a guy this year that when his pole broke, it ended up hitting him in the back of the head and he had to have 18 staples jammed in the back of his head :dazed: The Fayetteville schools now require all vaulters to wear helmets in practice and meets. The only time it is hard for her is when it is about 100 degrees...then she justs waits til right before she takes off down the runway to put it on. It might or might not save your life...but why take a chance :yes:
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

vaultfan

Articles pertaining to Helmets

Unread postby vaultfan » Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:47 pm

Here's a collection of helmet articles:

Helmets -- by Eddie Seese
http://www.polevault.com/articles/safety.articles2.html

Pro and Con on the Use of Helmets in Pole Vaulting -- by Jan Johnson
http://www.skyjumpers.com/articles/proandcon.htm

Helmets and Safety by Rob Gloster
http://www.vaultstuff.com/html/forum/li ... PIC_id=109

Leap of Faith by Laura Weisskopf
http://www.vaultstuff.com/html/forum/li ... PIC_ID=124

A Medial Position on the Topic of Headgear by Spencer Chang, M.D. and Wilson SooHoo, M.D.
http://www.vaultstuff.com/html/forum/li ... PIC_ID=148

Pro and Con of the Use of Helmets in Pole Vault by Jan Johnson
http://www.polevault.com/articles/HELMET.html

Fractured Skull or Headache? Your Call by Don Hood
http://www.polevault.com/articles/hoodhat.htm

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:50 pm

i see someones doing there homework...lol...j/k, thanks for the articles
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:10 pm

If every school had facillities that met current safety standards there would be no discussion about helmets. Under the current rules, the only exposed hard surface allowed around the pit is the box. Nobody has died yet from hitting their head on grass.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Re:helmets

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:39 pm

Fayetteville High School has the same size pit and everything the University of Arkansas has an they meet all the standards and more and they are requiring helmets.
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19

The Sovereign LORD is my strength;

he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,

he enables me to go on the heights.

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”