Looking for old footage/information on kjell isaksson(FOUND)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
Briansbaok
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.20
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Isaksson

Re: Looking for old footage/information on kjell isaksson(FOUND)

Unread postby Briansbaok » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:03 am

Soar Like an Eagle wrote:
joebro391 wrote:http://boutique.ina.fr/video/sport/athletisme/CPF04006105/kjell-isaksson.fr.html

Isakasson was an incredible jumper. For those of you with time you should compare Isakasson to Isinbayeva. Notice how small the pit was. Here is information on a great video that has the history of many great jumps. Contact Ron Morris and/or Dan West with OnTrack and Field. information@ontrackandfield.com

V86-2 Pole Vault Men $29.00

Produced by track cinematographer Orra McMurry, these tapes are SILENT with limited titling to assist the viewer in following the action. Each tape consists of three sections, each of which features top athletes of the events in reverse chronological order... starting with footage from the most recent season and going back in time as long as the performance techniques are deemed viable for modern study.

Also, I recently got a video of Joe Dial's jumps in 8-12th grade, 1978-1982. This video is a very insperational with a lot of great footage.

Hey, Soar Like an Eagle - I visited the On Track and Field site but did not find the video you mentioned. It sounds like it might be the one coach Tellez had us watch. We only watched the Isaksson vault, though, so I don't recall any of the others on that reel.
I see you are a fan of Joe Dial and Charlie Brown - are you originally from Oklahoma? Joe was in the 7th or 8th grade when I was a senior in high school and he would occassionally visit me in Duncan. His dad coached him well and in hindsight I wish I had listened to him and tried the takeoff technique that he was teaching Joe. Of course, Joe broke all my high school records and went on to OSU where he got stronger and faster and jumped much, much higher! I have only seen a few video clips of him in college, so I'd be interested in seeing some of his HS footage -- where can I get a copy?
Pole vaulting - the original extreme sport!

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

Unread postby kev44000 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:06 pm

Brian Joe Dial has a video out now called How to jump 18 foot in high school. It has old high footage of him. It is a very cool vid. Contact him at jdial@oru.edu or e-mail or facebook me for his phone number.

Briansbaok wrote:
joebro391 wrote:http://boutique.ina.fr/video/sport/athletisme/CPF04006105/kjell-isaksson.fr.html

Isakasson was an incredible jumper. For those of you with time you should compare Isakasson to Isinbayeva. Notice how small the pit was. Here is information on a great video that has the history of many great jumps. Contact Ron Morris and/or Dan West with OnTrack and Field. information@ontrackandfield.com

Produced by track cinematographer Orra McMurry, these tapes are SILENT with limited titling to assist the viewer in following the action. Each tape consists of three sections, each of which features top athletes of the events in reverse chronological order... starting with footage from the most recent season and going back in time as long as the performance techniques are deemed viable for modern study.

Also, I recently got a video of Joe Dial's jumps in 8-12th grade, 1978-1982. This video is a very insperational with a lot of great footage.

Hey, Soar Like an Eagle - I visited the On Track and Field site but did not find the video you mentioned. It sounds like it might be the one coach Tellez had us watch. We only watched the Isaksson vault, though, so I don't recall any of the others on that reel.
I see you are a fan of Joe Dial and Charlie Brown - are you originally from Oklahoma? Joe was in the 7th or 8th grade when I was a senior in high school and he would occassionally visit me in Duncan. His dad coached him well and in hindsight I wish I had listened to him and tried the takeoff technique that he was teaching Joe. Of course, Joe broke all my high school records and went on to OSU where he got stronger and faster and jumped much, much higher! I have only seen a few video clips of him in college, so I'd be interested in seeing some of his HS footage -- where can I get a copy?

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:16 pm

Briansbaok wrote:

TRACK & FIELD EVENT VIDEOS
BEYOND INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS!
Analyze and scrutinize the technique of the sport's best athletes. A "must" for all video libraries and free-thinkers.
Description Price

Pole Vault Men $29.00 OnTrack and Field

Call toll free for orders: (800) 697-2999 Ron Morris

Page 56

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 pm

Here's more footage of Isaksson ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K-HZaXRpSA

The vid runs for over 5:00 minutes, but only the first 1:20 shows him vaulting. It's one of his outdoor WRs, but I'm not sure which one ... probably either 5.51 on 1972.04.08 in Austin TX or 5.59 on 1972.05.23 in El Paso TX. Maybe someone can recognize the stadium?

The rest of the vid is blue-screen - whoever made the vid should have edited that out.

The slo-mo on this vid shows his technique fairly clearly. :yes:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:36 pm

hey

UCLA.. pretty sure...

don't think anything needs to be said about the technique... Telez technique...

dj

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:43 am

dj wrote: UCLA.. pretty sure...

Would that be Drake Stadium? I did vault at UCLA a couple times, and I do remember it being open like that ... but he didn't set any WRs there, so perhaps the WR announced at the end of the vid is just incorrect. I know that Isaksson trained at UCLA when he was in N. America ... with Tellez.

Seems like this vid might have originated on Super 8, then perhaps got converted to VHS, then played on a fairly modern flatscreen, then a video of the TV was taken as it played. That probably accounts for the "PLAY" and "CH 2" at the start of the vid, and the "PLAY" on the blue screen at the end.

What do you think?

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:00 am

dj wrote: ... don't think anything needs to be said about the technique... Telez technique...

DJ, while I agree with the Telez influences in Isaksson's technique, I'm reminding you of a post I made earlier on this thread ... which came from a Swedish penpal of mine. In part, he says ...
The Swedish national coach at that time was Knut Pihl a good international class steel pole vaulter in his younger days and a mechanical engineer to profession. When I look at his paper on pole vault technique from that time and recall our discussions a decade thereafter I think it is fair to say that he is the original Petrov. It was certainly a combination of his interpretation of Kjell’s vaulting and his own experience and engineering skill that caused him to be very precise when he documented his theories about what today is modern vaulting. He definitively had control over angles and forces, weight of pole during carry and at plant and so on so he could back up his theories well.

Talking to Kjell a couple of years ago he noted that “nowadays the vaulters keep their lower hand where I kept with my highest. That says a lot about the development of the poles over time”. He also was quite realistic about his own performance noticing that giving todays circumstances he did not think that he could have jumped 6 m but about 590 should have been possible. The obvious reason of course his relative lack of speed.

I am certain that Knut and I know that Kjell would be strongly in opposition to the madness concept of pre-jump but they would certainly support the idea of free take off, especially with the underline that Petrov make; it should be felt like you are taking off before the pole hits the end of the box which also should be interpreted that you should not take off before.

He trained in California (mostly at UCLA I think) with his Swedish buddy Hans Lagerqvist - who I competed against. My recollection is that they helped each other with their steps, but neither one trained the other ... and they weren't trained (officially) by Telez either. I think Isaksson mostly trained himself in those years. I'm sure they probably got SOME helpful hints from Telez, and I'm sure that training with Dick Railsback, Jon Vaughn, and Rick Sloan at UCLA regularly would be enough to see some Telez Technique in Isaksson's vaulting style.

Isaksson's SBs thru his entire career were ...

1964 3.50
1965 3.80
1966 4.35
1967 4.55
1968 5.25
1969 5.20
1970 5.37
1971 5.43 (also 5.41 indoors - WR!)
1972 5.59 WR! (also 5.45 indoors - WR!)
1973 5.31
1974 5.40
1975 5.25
1976 5.33
1977 5.30
1978 5.38
1979 5.20
1980 5.20
1981 5.30
1982 5.30
1983 5.30
1984 5.30
1985 5.30
1986 5.20
1987 5.20
1988 5.11
1989 5.21
1990-1996 Between 4.40-4.65

He retired after 1996 - having cleared 4.40 that year. A 32-year career! :star:

I think it was sometime after 1969 that Isaksson started spending a lot of time at UCLA - it was after Ken Shannon had left there. By that time, he'd already cleared at least 5.25. I'm sure Telez deserves SOME credit for his progression from 5.25 to 5.59, but I think most of the credit in his early years ... to get him up to 5.25 or so ... goes to Knut Pihl.

I'm not positive about any of this, so I would appreciate some insight from anyone that was closer to his situation than I was back then. My memory of all this is vague. I can't even remember the UCLA stadium being called Drake Stadium, but that's what they call it today.

I've also heard stories that Kjell was self-taught, so the question is whether Pihl taught Isaksson all he knows ... or vice-versa. :confused:

Kirk

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:24 am

I see this on the UCLA website ...
In 1973, it was officially named Drake Stadium in honor of a legend at UCLA, Elvin C. "Ducky" Drake, who had been associated with his alma mater as a student-athlete, track coach and athletic trainer for over 60 years. Drake died in Los Angeles of a heart attack on Dec. 23, 1988. He was 85. In 2004, Drake was inducted into the U.S. Track and Field Hall of Fame.

So I guess in 1970-72 when I jumped there it was called something else. :confused:

Kirk

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:16 am

good morning

i have no doubt that Knut Pihl helped Kjell as much or more than Telez...and great vaulters have a way of finding a way to be great. i, as a coach have always felt that i am simply a set of eyes that has studied the event and studied physics.. was "gifted" with a great set of eyes that capture "movement" like a 16mil and played it back instantly..

what i saw was simply what the athlete had to feel... what he felt had to be what i saw....

coaching is a good set of eyes, knowledge, science and communication. Training is progressive over load and creating ways to teach technique through the "Whole - Part - Whole" method of teaching/learning.

Dave Roberts said his run was from Telez.. but just like all "good ones" he observed others and could pick out the "good stuff' that he felt he could or needed to use.

it's UCLA.. i have a photo strip of a jump from that film.. i think Oren McMurry?? did the filming.. Ron Morris could tell us..

and.. i'm not sure when the "pole under the bar was a miss” was changed.. the jump may not have counted because of that.. the pole did fall under the bar to the right standard and Kjell did loose at least one record because of that..

dj

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:06 pm

dj wrote: ... i'm not sure when the "pole under the bar was a miss” was changed.. the jump may not have counted because of that.. the pole did fall under the bar to the right standard and Kjell did lose at least one record because of that..

That's a good point ... as were all your other points.

In 1968, Casey Carrigan missed his 3rd attempt over 4.90 in the Mexico City Olympics Final. The way he described it, it was one of the best jumps of his life. Prior to 68, quite a few vaulters got stung on that rule.

I think the rule was changed by 1971 at least - I don't ever remember anyone missing a jump that year due to that. Nor do I remember cognizantly striving to toss the pole back.

So that leaves either 1969 or 1970 when the rule was changed ... and I think this vid was taken right about in that time range!

Kirk

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:37 pm

OK, I found the location and date. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men's_pole_vault_world_record_progression, it was ...
5.54 m Kjell Isaksson Sweden Los Angeles, U.S. April 15, 1972

On closer examination of "Who's Who in PV III", that mark was in there ... with the location marked as "Westwood". I remember now that Westwood is the Los Angeles suburb that UCLA is in ... I just didn't notice it at first.

Also note that Isaksson's 5.59 WR ... when he tied with Seagren in El Paso ... was never ratified.

Kirk

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:13 am

hey

the El Paso may have been an "pole under the bar miss".. seems i heard that story many years ago.. and a huge jump, 18-9 ish on a 4th practice jump at that same meet?? not sure.. with the pole going "under".. just to show how high he could jump if the rule was changed...

ps..

yes.. westwood.. i coached Tully there 100's of times

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”